Author Topic: Clip on magnifiers for spectacle wearers  (Read 5790 times)

Offline Joules

Clip on magnifiers for spectacle wearers
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:16:10 PM »
This is an almost got it project.  I damaged some clip on magnifiers I use and figured I should probably make a spare pair.  As I bought some Poundland magnifier glasses a while back for the pads, I threw the frame but hung onto the lenses.  I figured I would have a go at making some half frame clip ons.  First job work out how to cut the lens in two, or rather how to grip it without marking or damaging it.

This setup seemed to work, IKEA coffee stirrer stick snapped in half using the universal vice with handle removed clamped on the mill.  The cutting blade is carbide tipped from Aldi for one of their small saws.  They are great for cutting Perspex.

It took quite a while doing the cutting as the setup isn't that rigid so gentle cuts, it also left a crystal clear finish on the cut parts.

A bit of gentle de burr left the lenses ready for the intended frame.  Since I managed to print some arm covers I thought I would push my luck trying to print a frame.

The hardest part was trying to draw the lens outline and bevel that traps in the frame.  I didn't do too good a job on the bevel as its tiny and really too small to print at 0.1mm layers as well as being curved in 3 dimensions.  Still, I gave it a go and could see the slicer had struggled to make smooth paths as I was working with so little material.  A much smaller nozzle might have had better luck.

The finished lower frame is not a success, it was difficult to print and at this scale lots of blobs caused me grief in the slot to pickup the bevel.  I could redesign the frame for printing, or just make some form tools to roll a frame out of copper wire that will grip the lens properly and be easy to form the correct shape out of.   In this case a failure, but it's still pushing the boundaries.

As Dirt Harry would say "a man's got to know his limitations"
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Clip on magnifiers for spectacle wearers
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 03:18:13 PM »
I confess to knowing less than nothing about 3D Printing- and probably never will improve. I can , however, claim to having used both bifocals and supplementing them with a folding loup. That was given to me by Don L. Ashton of Walshaerts and Stephenson's Gear books many years ago and frankly, it is I have yet to find a replacement despite many searches.

OK, I have two other  aids, one of which is a child's cheap microscope and also a better brass affair. Neither is particularly portable!

So I'm more than interested! So I've also been in Poundland and bought their specs  at a quid a throw, I've a supply left over from my late wife's cataract ops. Unfortunately, with what  I have seen there, none have the necessary optical magnification suitable  to make loups. 

Maybe others can suggest a cheaper alternative  source of raw material other than -say- the £25 variety ex One Spec .

I look forward to your machinations-with interest !

Norman

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »
Those carbide tiped saws are great for hard stuff to , but they can make a lot of noise .
Jeff

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
Hi All,
Keep a lookout for old cameras or SLR lenses at car boot sales or charity shops
I use one retrieved from a non working SLR lense in the workshop for getting a good close up look when turning fine work or seting tools up

John

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »
It's probably interesting to have a look at -say- the Keeper web site( pun not intended)

My dentist daughter presented me with a pair of their surgeons specs but are probably too good for the hurly burley of workshop use.

Regards

N

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »
They are lovely optics Norman, wish I could get some as they have long focal distance.  For delicate work I rig up a pair of Pentax Papilo binoculars, they are for close work like watching insects, but still a tad too far for comfortable working.  Maybe if I made a periscope attachment I could reduce the distance some more.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 07:36:41 AM »
Joules

Thanks for your interesting  comments. I assume that there are still fairly inexpensive 'Chinese' binoculars at car boot sales etc.

Worth a thought?

Regards

N

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
Another try at the frame this morning.  I thickened it up, and got it flat on the rear so it would print without support.

The result is much better, but the bevel only appears as an open line around the inside of the frame.  I need to scrape along the line to open it up a little to allow the lenses to seat proper, then I can weld the capping strips and design the clips that will pick up the arms on my glasses.

This design allows me to glare in full focus at anyone interrupting my work....    :poke:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:42:14 PM by Joules »

Offline Pete49

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 12:39:44 AM »
great job Joules. I'm sure the glare will stop them in their tracks :thumbup:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Joules

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Finished them, but rushed the clip and ended up welding the frame to the clip.

Not my best work   :(  However, I don't change my focus going from close to far vision and not juggling two pairs of glasses, so good for reading Madmodder's whilst I do detailed work at the desk.