Author Topic: Anvil Making  (Read 11580 times)

RobWilson

Anvil Making
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:46:34 AM »
Afternoon Chaps  :wave:

After looking at Andrew Wildman's thread on making a post anvil  http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11556.msg135324.html#msg135324  It got me thinking about anvil making , so after a bit Googling ( its been a slack day )  I found these two very  interesting anvil build videos .

I am really impressed with this young lads skills .  :bow: :bow: :bow: his other videos are well worth a look to .

And this very clever use of rail track .  :med:

Anyway I just thought I would share my findings  :)

Rob

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Anvil Making
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:54:35 PM »
Thanks Rob!

I have a section of RR Track here set aside for the eventual conversion to an anvil for the missus. This gives me some ideas.

One that I had earlier... We  have an el cheapo anvil from from China for now. I was reading (on the web) some people are welding a piece of thick steel to the tops of these to make them more usable. I took it over to a welder and asked his opinion... His suggestion was to get a piece of scrap plate (from a local supplier here) and secure it to a stump.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

inthesticks

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:53:19 PM »
Very interesting Rob. Like you Eric I've had a section of rail set aside for just this purpose. One of these days, too many projects too little time.

Cheers
CB

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:21:08 PM »
"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
Thanks Rob!

... His suggestion was to get a piece of scrap plate (from a local supplier here) and secure it to a stump.

Eric

If you are thinking of using "other scrap" then it would be worth trying to find an old fork-lift truck tyne.
They are made from toughened, alloy steel and a short section of one makes a long lasting anvil face, that will take a real pounding.

Anywhere that sells or maintains FLT's will have a few in the scrap bin, as they are an item that needs to replaced periodically.
You just need to find a way to cut it up without getting it too hot and knackering the temper of the steel. (So not a gas-axe or abrasive chopsaw then.)

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:50:56 PM »
Could it be gas cut, then re tempered by throwing in the neighbours pond, rather than throwing the pond on it, as in the video   :scratch:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

inthesticks

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 10:14:33 PM »
Not really an anvil but works like one on some jobs. Use it for straightening and bending small stuff. Came from a large vise, part of a broken jaw still attached, when I found it in a scrap yard. Holding up real well.

Cheers
CB

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »
Not really an anvil but works like one on some jobs. Use it for straightening and bending small stuff. Came from a large vise, part of a broken jaw still attached, when I found it in a scrap yard. Holding up real well.

Cheers
CB

That's a neat idea. I've got a broken vise that i've just had sitting in a damp corner. I was thinking of taking it to the skip next time I tidy the garage too.

Offline joshagrady

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 05:53:00 AM »
I was thinking of taking it to the skip next time I tidy the garage too.

Are you mad?  Behavior like that could get you banned from this forum.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »
Ah well so!

In advance of this thread I had already decided to source some railway track.

Living in Ireland I knew we had a bigger gauge than the standard (British) gauge so I managed to "aquire"  a length from Irish rail.

It arrived and it was such a speciment piece I could hardly take the gas axe/plasma cutters to it:

It was clearly a specimen of rail cut out for a purpose: "BSC WORKINTON"
Such pieces are often mounted up as retirement gifts.

Naturally I couldn't cut this up!

However MadModder 2 decided this was just what we needed to act as a counter weight on our gang mower!

So its back to Irish rail to blag another piece
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Joules

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 06:04:37 PM »
Have Anvil, Will travel and mince up the natives.,,

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 06:34:24 PM »
I just use my piece as an anvil as it is. Have been promised "the old one" from my uncle this come complete with tree stump  :thumbup:

Well impressed with the construction article suggesting cutting and heat treating but mine's just fine for working out frustations on as is.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »
This is my take on using Railway track to make an anvil. As the important thing in an anvil is the mass of metal under the striking point, using the rail vertically works much better than the usual way. This is an on going project, it needs one of the "Spikes" rounding off and hardening and tempering.

Regards, Matthew

RobWilson

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
Evening Lads ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is it the weekend yet !  :(

Here be my rail track anvil  :)

I found it in a local scrap yard a few years back  , got it for a £1  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now it just lives in my backyard , someone spent a good bit of time and effort to make it . 

As to forklift tines/forks  good quality tough steel  :thumbup:   one of my favourite  materials  :dremel:

Rob

Offline Joules

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
Now that is a very handy bench sized anvil and nicely made.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2016, 06:25:17 AM »
I was thinking of taking it to the skip next time I tidy the garage too.

Are you mad?  Behavior like that could get you banned from this forum.

Haha. But seriously i've collected so many chunks and lumps that i'm running out of space for them. Chucked some of the smaller and less useful ones to make room for more.

RobWilson

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2016, 04:34:58 AM »
Now that is a very handy bench sized anvil and nicely made.

Aye Joules , maybe I should give it a clean up and fix it to the end of my workbench  :dremel:

I like this stump anvil this lad has made .

Rob

Offline Joules

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2016, 05:57:59 AM »
Great little video, I really like the minimalist blacksmith idea.   Any more videos, links on these things being used, his furnace was pretty nifty too.

I found an interesting link.

http://scythesupply.com/equipment.html

I like the peening log, I wonder if a laminated log, like a vertical butchers block, that was tightly bound with rope or wire would work.  Not seen those anvils down B&Q though  :(
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 06:28:10 AM by Joules »