Author Topic: 300 mm "Digital Verniers"  (Read 6301 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
300 mm "Digital Verniers"
« on: July 16, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »
Ever lastingly 'running out of length' on my 6" / 150 mm digital vernier (which is a nice coolant proof Mitutoyo) so I'm looking for a decent 300 mm / 12" version for those occasions.

Now ideally I'd get the Mitutoyo offering, but £300 odd quid can't really be justified - it's only for me - no products being made - so I'm considering the cheapo Chinese offerings.

Has anyone personal experience of them? Silverline offer one (Silverline 411212) that can be had for about £30 and obviously you can't expect Mitutoyo quality for 1/10th the price, but are they any good?

Certainly want auto power off as coming to a flat battery is a pain
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

Re: 300 mm "Digital Verniers"
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 04:03:58 PM »
Hi Andrew,

I've never had the means to invest in anything but the cheepo calipers. I've always been surprised at how good they are for the money! OK, don't get them wet or oily as they become rand number displays. The other thing is that the auto off only switches of the display, which means they are not really off. Evidence of them not switching off completely is that if you set them to zero somewhere switch of or wait for they auto switch of, turn them on again, the zero setting will still be good. I'm in the habit of pulling the batteries if I don't think I'm going to use them for a while. My personal opinion is that they are surpriseingly good value for money!

All the best, Matthew

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:10:32 PM »
Only some cheapies run the batteries down quickly, and my own experience is that it's the design with the thin 20mm diameter batteries. Others might have differing experience but I've found the ones with the LR44 batteries last a very long time. It's easy to keep a couple of LR44's spare anyway and they are cheap enough.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:36:04 PM »
Use silver oxide batteries or lithium instead of the alkaline ones. 2032 lithium last well ( flat about 20mm dia). The LR44 are,from memory alkaline and RW42 is the silver oxide equivalent. The cost difference is minor.

Having said that I still take em out if not in use for a while. I got a 300mm one at Harrogate, similar to the one from arc euro, and I'm happy with it.

Regards Ian

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:41:17 PM »
You want SR 44's and not LR44's
It was explained to me over in China what the difference is but I have forgot. Something like LR's at 1.4v and SR's are 1.5 volt or something alaong those lines and the last bit matters [ as always ]  :med:
John Stevenson

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:05:22 PM »
Andrew, all my digital calipers and mics are Insize brand from Cutwel Tools.

I have an 1108 series 6" that has withstood 3 years hard usage,and also the more expensive model with carbide faced jaws.

The standard 1108 is their best seller caliper and I find them very dependable and accurate.

Copied the link for you,the 300mm version is down the page a bit.

Hope this helps ....OZ.   http://www.cutwel.co.uk/measuring-tools/small-tool-instruments/calipers/insize-digital-caliper-1108-series-1
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Pete.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 05:58:43 AM »
You want SR 44's and not LR44's
It was explained to me over in China what the difference is but I have forgot. Something like LR's at 1.4v and SR's are 1.5 volt or something alaong those lines and the last bit matters [ as always ]  :med:

Handy Info John. I just checked my calipers and both have LR44, also my digital mic has LR44 and another spare in the box, but I will order the SR44 replacements when I need more batteries.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:16:29 AM »
RE: Opening post.

I have used limited amount of larger than standard digital caliper, however I have used somewhat larger traditional calipers and two things comes to my mind:

1) There seems to be two types, other one has long enough jaws to measure round objects outside. Great, if you need to do that, but jaws get rather long after 500 mm models, requiring stronger/stiffer/heavier structure AND less play = more expensive. I prefer shorter jaw model, that has square jaws.

2) Play is larger factor on with verniers generally.... I have found that pressing the jaws together near the measurement point with "calibrated" finger force produces more constat mesures, and this seems to me more important more there is play.

Not sure how aplicable this is to 300 model as I don't own one and the stuff at the work is much bigger.

Pekka

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 08:36:08 PM »
Certainly want auto power off as coming to a flat battery is a pain

How about one of these chaps?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300mm-Metric-Machine-DRO-Dial-Caliper-Yellow-4Way-Measurement-Stainless-Steel-/390832812254?hash=item5aff7370de:g:TFQAAOSwiLdV~BBD

No battery problems... and £45 seems quite reasonable.

I presume they are available in English measures as well as the French one pictured...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 02:51:01 AM »
My 6" are Mitutoyo and battery lasts for years as they do not remember last setting they are off when switched off.

I have a 12" one from Machine DRO as I originally needed it for the gears on my traction engine. Does not feel anywhere near as nice to use as the 6" but not had any problems with accuracy. Battery will run down if left fitted so as I don't use the 12" ones often I just take the battery out.

J

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Insize calipers on SR44's and batteries last for yonks......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up