Author Topic: Ajax AJ7 or AJ8 horizontal milling machines.  (Read 3884 times)

Offline nrml

Ajax AJ7 or AJ8 horizontal milling machines.
« on: July 16, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »
Does anyone have any information on what lead screws are fitted to the X axis of small Ajax horizontal milling machines and what size motors they are normally fitted with. I have one that has some very crude work done on it by a previous owner and I am planning to make it more functional. Pictures of how and where the handles fit on the table and leadscrew nut mounting would be an absolute godsend if you have any. Thank you.

Offline John Rudd

Re: Ajax AJ7 or AJ8 horizontal milling machines.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
A belated reply....
I had one of these machines but sold it on.....
I fitted a 3 ph motor and a vfd to mine before it went. I retained the original pulleys and mounted the motor behind the mill on a plate with slots for adjust the belt. Sizewise I think I went for 1/3 hp...but of course a 3ph motor is probably a but more efficient than its 1 ph counterpart and smaller too boot.
As for lead screws, well mine had been altered long before I got hold of mine....I believecthey had a rack and gear fitted for quick return on the X axis, mine came without....it was fitted with a lead screw and I believe it was 1/2" BSF. Now whether that was an original I dont know...btw that happens to be 16tpi, I wasgoing to go with a cycle thread for 20 tpi but never got round to making a new leadscrew.

I'm sure you will be able to sort something for yours
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline nrml

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »
Thank you for the information. The rack and pinion explanation clears things up for me. I couldn't make sense of how the original lead screw would have been fitted on mine.

Offline dawesy

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 11:19:45 PM »
I have the AJ9 and it sounds similar.
Mine was originally horizontal but it looks like something got damaged at some point and it was converted vertical.
This is mine as I collected it. It's been restored now. If it looks similar I can get some pictures of the screw set up.
 [/URL]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline nrml

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 05:58:30 PM »
Thanks for the very kind offer, but your model is quite different to the one I have.