Author Topic: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller  (Read 438618 times)

Offline mattinker

Re: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2016, 07:49:17 AM »
I like the idea, but when my compressor is running, shouting "STOP" might not be loud enough to be detected!

Regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2016, 07:58:10 AM »
Dependant on what part of you was caught in the machine, the pitch of your voice might change by several octaves  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:32 AM »
I am going to mount one of those big mushroom stop buttons on a pole hanging down from the ceiling over the router.  Be handy if I could mount it on old lighting track then drag it to where I am currently working.   A wireless E-Stop sounds as reliable as a chocolate fireguard, likewise voice activated with all the radio songs that have STOP in the lyrics...

I normally hang around the controls till a job has started then wander off doing other stuff, so unless I had a stop button next to the computer nothing is going to happen fast, by me.

Perhaps there's a market for a buttock clenching stop button   :med:

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Joules

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »
The final problem of my controller install is solved.  I wanted the cooling fans for the stepper drivers to be software controlled.  When John saw them it was wired in permanently.  My issue had been fitting an internal power supply for 12v systems, i.e fans, lights etc.

These little power supplies are highly efficient and dirt cheap.

http://hobbycomponents.com/power/698-xl60009-dc-dc-step-up-boost-converter

It shares a common ground with the main 24v PSU.   The controller has isolated grounds for different sections, it's not a good idea to bridge these grounds together as you can end up with lots of interference issues from electrical noise.   Earlier back in the thread you may have seen nrml's post of the internals and the 12vdc regulator that is rated at 250ma.   Well it's not enough to drive the fans direct but fine for powering a 12v reed relay (don't forget a back EMF diode).  Got a Maplins dual reed relay as it was cheaper than the single ??? and wired it into the controller on M8/9 and the 12v internal supply.

The connections are soldered and sealed in Sugru, handy stuff but you need a number of jobs to make use of the once opened pack   :(   Hot glue would probably have worked fine too.

I can now toggle the fans on off from the front panel as shown with M8 in bold.  More to the point M8 is g-code controlled so I can turn the fans on prior to a job and turn them off after the job.  If I needed that second reed can be used for anything else I might want to switch via M8, with no further load on the controller.

And that concludes the basic install for the router.  YES, I am very pleased with this controller, it does more than I was able to do with the old router controller and LinuxCNC, that isn't a reflection on LinuxCNC, but more my abilities to understand and use it.   I hope this thread has proved useful and inspires others to get one of these controllers and give it a go.

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
  A wireless E-Stop sounds as reliable as a chocolate fireguard,

Could be made safe - just think of all the overhead cranes with wireless control.  Basically there has to be a continual handshake between button unit and base station, any loss of handshake (loss of signal, power loss, or E-stop pressed) kills the drives.  Same basic approach is used to transport safety related signals over Ethernet etc.

Offline Joules

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
Thats a fair point David, now where did I put that damned wireless E-Stop.....

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2016, 10:31:09 AM »
The best place to fit an stop is between the cheeks of your backside, never fails to work
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
The best place to fit an stop is between the cheeks of your backside, never fails to work

John,

See reply #52 - Jules got there first  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »
I figured this information might be appropriate here for anyone getting a DDCSV1.1   This is straight from my Desktop Mill CNC Conversion thread, and refers to this pendant.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-Pulse-Generator-4-Axis-MPG-Pendant-Handwheel-Emergency-Stop-for-Siemens-FAGOR-GSK/2009058806.html

Colours and connection as below.

GND      =  Black
WHA+   =  Yellow
WHB+   =  White
A-IN      =  Blue
Z-IN      =  Light Blue
Y-IN      =  Orange
X-IN      =  Brown

+5V-W  =  Red
WHA-    =  Pink
WHB-    =  Transparent
GND      =  Purple and Green Black
X100     =  Blue Black
X10       =  Grey
x1         =  Green
ESTOP   =  Red Black

You end up with 3 wires left over, this means the GND could be common'd up and reduce the pin count to 14 so a 15way D could be used, but the connector shell would be very tight so think the 25way is still the one to use.  The above ONLY applies to the pendant linked above, the wiring is not universal so check before you follow the above guide.

These are the MPG (pendant) settings used for this particular pendant.  Note top left of the screen it's displaying MPG (Pendant Mode)

Offline nrml

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
A quick question about the E-Stop wiring  if you don't mind.

The instruction diagram on the pendant I bought (identical to yours I think) says: ''Red/Black lines for COM, Normal circumstances -  Red/Black and Silver /Black conduction, Red/Black and Green/Black off''. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-4-Axis-MPG-Pendant-Handwheel-Emergency-Stop-For-Siemens-Mitsubishi-Systems/2043005167.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.90.wtPq8J

Doesn't this mean that Red/Black should be connected to ground and Silver/Black connected to the E-Stop terminal on the control unit? I am presuming that breaking the circuit by pressing the button activates the E-stop rather than completing the circuit.
What I scribbled down in my manual is identical to what you have posted apart from this discrepancy.

Offline Joules

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
nrml, all I did was use a continuity tester to determine which two pairs got connected when the button was pressed, the logic for the MPG ESTOP is short to ground for stop.  I think you do have the option to change the logic to high, but you only need 2 wires to operate the stop.

For me an external ESTOP will also be fitted, this way the unit can still function if the pendant is removed, if the use logic high it won't allow the DDCSV to function without modifying the parameter when the pendant is removed.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »
That makes sense if all the logics are low. Any short and it stops.
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »
Perhaps worth pointing out for future reference that conventionally an ESTOP chain is a closed loop running (potentially) through several devices / limits / sensors so that any device in the chain can interrupt continuity and drop out a safety relay or whatever.

So on a big mill for instance there might be a lubrication level sensor, door open sensor and an air pressure sensor all in series with the ESTOP button and the ESTOP safety relay coil.

This has the advantage that any broken wire or dislodged plug will trigger a stop, whereas if 'short to earth' is the operation, a broken wire or dislodged plug may not allow you to assert ESTOP
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
But is the E Stop circuit is fed a live and expects to see return to work any short or dislodged plug will put in in E Stop mode and it can't be reset until the fault is rectified.

Basically all switches need to be Normally Closed.

Some early machines and breakout boards for that matter had NO switches and only when closed and nothing happened did a fault become obvious.
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
This is purely the Estop on the pendant.  The controller Estop can be set up active high, +12v keeps things on so you can chain switches, as the pendant will be mostly out the way it won't be the stop of choice.

If you look at the bottom of the parameters screen, you see the Extended Buttons options.  The Estop is set to active low (should have disabled it), as I don't have one so active high would disable the controller for now.  Have just tested and confirmed that.

Offline Muzzerboy

• The Mighty Shiz
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
John S - did you see / consider these Tomatech controllers too?http://tomatech-cnc.com/PicDetail.aspx?ColumnId=96&ArticleId=626&Language=36&Terminal=41 They look pretty powerful too.

Go on, tell us it's one of the controllers you've bought to try out...

Murray

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »
Very similar Murray but there web site is shite, they show the same controller for everything. Even the two axis lathe has fives axis on the Acer.   

Many of these people are just resellers. We bought direct from the factory.
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2016, 05:12:48 AM »
A word of caution whilst playing with the controller.  I managed to delete my system file on the controller.  The MODE button acts as delete when on the file page.  The system keeps running till you reboot, then it has no system, or missing part to boot.  I was very concerned that system files have no write protection.  Fortunately I was able to rebuild the system files on the controller from my second 4 Axis controller.  This is really a WARNING, that you can potentially brick your controller by playing about, especially if you only have the one.  I hadn't made backups of the files, I have now, but still need to reset all my preference settings.  If you look at the end of the manual, it does say how to update the firmware, I followed that procedure to reinstall the system files.

Starting to learn lots more about these things, such as selecting a file using START runs the G-Code in simulation mode.   Very useful to test your code for errors and see how it displays on the tool path screen.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »
Hi Joules, My DDCSV1.1 arrived today. Very quick delivery from a German supplier (8 days & also via Parcel Motel in Belfast).

I note that the power requirements are 18 to 32 volts. The other PSU/Driver/Steppers have a 36V PSU but it can be adjusted down to 32 V.

All seems good so far.

Now its just a time to: RTFM!  RTFM!! RTFM!!!

The MPG controller is on the sloooow boat!

Will be interesting to compare/contrast it to the SMC4-4!!

I hope ye all know what RTFM means??
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
I have considered one of these prefabbed controllers as well because USB cnc cards is just a effing headache.. I was looking into this one for a plasma table.

http://www.startsh.com/eng/ccx3.html
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »
It means your cnc is stuck in Manual!!
 :beer:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2016, 08:28:28 PM »
I have considered one of these prefabbed controllers as well because USB cnc cards is just a effing headache.. I was looking into this one for a plasma table.

http://www.startsh.com/eng/ccx3.html
Do you have a torch height controler? I know a guy using these he seems pleased.
http://proma-elektronika.com/index.php/en/products

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2016, 08:19:24 AM »
No i have not.. I have a Hypertherm PMX85 that i wanna connect up to a Proma or similar tho. Using the CPC connector.. But i have problems getting the damn windows crapstorm software to behave like a plasma cutter instead of a router with trickery.. Thats why i started to consider a dedicated controller instead.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2016, 06:30:43 PM »
Just searching around for more info!

Found this very informative new you-tube vid:

Note that my s/w version is 2016-05-11-73-NOR and his is even later. (2016-05-19-77-NOR)

NB: Also the English(y) manual that we have  is for a 2015-11-18-12
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Joules

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2016, 06:01:24 AM »
Yesterday was design and build a tool sensor to use with the controller.

The body of course is 3D printed    :thumbup:  a cheap switch with a very repeatable action, in this case it's a keyboard switch.  The spring just allows some tolerance so the switch doesn't get crushed if the spindle over shoots.

The real surprise is that this setup is repeatable to 0.01mm every time.  Next time I would use a brass sleeve for the moving anvil, as the PLA has just a tad too much friction but may improve over time.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:47:57 AM by Joules »