Author Topic: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller  (Read 439925 times)

Offline blades

Re: DDCSV1.1 4 Axis controller
« Reply #625 on: July 01, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »
A thousand thank-yous, Benedikt!  :beer:

Oh, another question: do you know of any way to take the PWM output of 0-10v and drop it to 0-5v, and still maintain a true PWM variable output? My laser will take 0-5v pwm input. I already had to have it repaired by feeding it from the 0-10v output from the DDCSV1.1
I thought about hooking up a 5v voltage regulator to it, but that would merely clip the upper 5v signal and give undesired results.
Bill

- No best but better

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #626 on: July 02, 2017, 01:37:08 AM »
Simple op amp with feedback ratio set to amplification of 0.5

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline blades

« Reply #627 on: July 02, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »
Simple op amp with feedback ratio set to amplification of 0.5

Sounds like a great idea, I will look into that. Thank you!
Bill

- No best but better

Offline C6MFG

« Reply #628 on: July 06, 2017, 11:27:50 PM »
Happy to discover the DDCSV1.1 and this forum!  I read through all the pages but have not been able to find or missed if there was ever a way to modify it to Imperial/Inches?  Is that an option with Pandora?

Thanks

Jason

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #629 on: July 07, 2017, 01:51:13 AM »
Happy to discover the DDCSV1.1 and this forum!  I read through all the pages but have not been able to find or missed if there was ever a way to modify it to Imperial/Inches?  Is that an option with Pandora?

Thanks

Jason
Hi, Jason!

Glad you found it useful.
Inches is a very high priority right now.
Our rewrite will have inches from the start on, but I am currently working on adding working inches to the original firmware too.
So to answer your question, not now but soon.
I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

Best regards,
Benedikt

Offline C6MFG

« Reply #630 on: July 07, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Benedikt!  Glad to hear that it will soon be resolved.  I already ordered my controller and am very excited to use it....could be the perfect answer for some of my small CNC retrofited machines.

Jason

Offline C6MFG

« Reply #631 on: July 13, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »
Will Pandora allow the controller to be used on a lathe and support threading?  Just converted a mini lathe and I am currently using Mach 3 but was looking at swapping to linuxcnc for it .....until recently.

Jason

Offline C6MFG

« Reply #632 on: July 13, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
Just showed up! :)

Jason

Offline aolney

« Reply #633 on: July 14, 2017, 12:46:44 AM »
I am under the impression from John Stevenson's comments that because there is no support for a spindle encoder that lathe threading will not work. I think that there is a $600 controller that will work, and probably be easier to get running than Linuxcnc.
Andy

Offline C6MFG

« Reply #634 on: July 14, 2017, 10:04:34 AM »
Andy,

Oh well...Thanks for the info!

Jason

Offline blades

« Reply #635 on: July 17, 2017, 05:30:58 PM »
Ok, I'm about ready to take a hammer to this controller! Per my previous post, I was having trouble with my configuration because my G540 runs in 10x microstepping by default, and cannot be changed. This forced my to use a Z step setting number of 24,000 steps-per-inch (I'm running, or trying to run in inch mode). Max setting is supposed to be not over 10,000. At this setting, my Z-axis just hummed in program running mode, such as when trying to home. When I set this down to a lower number (12,000), it worked perfectly other than being off by 50%. So, I replaced the G540 with some TB6600 motor drivers where I can set microstepping. It was working perfect again on X & Y. I now have Z step setting @ 2400 with the new motor driver (no microstepping), and it's doing the same thing again! Motor won't even move in manual mode unless I drop the Z number to something well below the 2400 I need it to be.
WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WITH THIS STUPID THING??  :doh:
It didn't like 24,000 with the G540, and now it doesn't like 2400 with the TB6600 drivers! There is nothing wrong mechanically with the Z axis, it runs very smooth when I set an artificially low step number.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:35:20 PM by blades »
Bill

- No best but better

Offline PPRINT

« Reply #636 on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:44 PM »
Bill, I'm sorry the control setup is giving you fits.  This sort of thing stresses me to no end so I am empathetic to those going through it.

I'm not sure if I will be able to do anything to help you, but with some basic information I might be able to come up with some things that might point you in the right direction.

I'm a ground level sort of guy, so I have to start at square one when I solve problems with my projects.  Can you post the step angle of the motors you are using , the pitch diameter of your pulleys, and the pitch of your z-axis screw please.

Rob

The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.

Offline blades

« Reply #637 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
Hey Rob, I truly appreciate any help at all!
The motors are pretty basic, standard NEMA 23 motors. 1.8 deg/step.
I'm not sure of the actual PD of the pulleys, but it's a 1:1 belt drive with 20-tooth pulleys on a 3mm pitch belt, to a 12 TPI lead screw (basically a 1:1 drive to the lead screw). The driver is set up with no microstepping.

The X & Y run on 20-tooth pulleys on a 3mm pitch belt. They work perfectly fine.

I also tested a different motor when I had the G540 hooked up, and got identical results, so it's not a motor issue.
Bill

- No best but better

Offline PPRINT

« Reply #638 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
Bill, as you already know your math is correct on the steps.

Have you worked out parameter #416 which is "the time between DIR and pulse" and #417 which is "the width of the pulse signal"? I know in my case these two parameters took a bit of work to get correct just to get motion with the MPG.

I also had to futz with the start and stop  acceleration for smooth movement.

I'm just shooting at stars here so be patient.  This is how I trouble shoot and with enough work it all gets resolved.

Rob

Edit...per the G540 manual parameters $416 and #417 should be set to 200.

Offline blades

« Reply #639 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:21 PM »
 Hey Rob,

Thank you for that input. I had not really messed with those settings too much, but I think you have landed on something here.
I only had 416 (settings went from 416 to 418, with no 417). I set it to 200 (it was @ 300), but no change. So I adjusted #33 (motor start speed) to 20 (was @50), and it started working.

Now this has me wondering if I wasted all that time & $$ replacing the G540 with the new drivers. After all, it was working fine in manual jog mode. My assumption was that because I was so far beyond the 10,000 max step number that the controller wasn't happy with that.
Too bad I already cut off all the D-sub connectors I painstakingly soldered on for the G540.   :palm:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:52:33 PM by blades »
Bill

- No best but better

Offline kwood94xj

« Reply #640 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:13 AM »
Good Morning,

Is this still being developed? I see that the thread has slowed and the most recent firmware posted to bmuessig.eu is from 4-16-17 over 2 months old. I know He was having trouble with his DDCSV1.1 hardware.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #641 on: July 26, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
Good Morning,

Is this still being developed? I see that the thread has slowed and the most recent firmware posted to bmuessig.eu is from 4-16-17 over 2 months old. I know He was having trouble with his DDCSV1.1 hardware.
Hello,

while I have not been active in the last time, due to other responsibilities that took most of my time, this project is as active as always.
In the background, together with another great person, we are working on new bootloaders, which, when completed, should allow us to build new improved kernels, that will finally contain some of the features lacking in the current version.
There is a lot of new features planned, but it will still take some time. Since I have not been able to revive my controller, I am not able to do any development on the CNC software itself at the moment. This will be resolved eventually.

Best regards,
Benedikt

Offline kwood94xj

« Reply #642 on: July 26, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
Thank you for the response. I am willing to donate some funds if it gets you a new controller to continue dev work. Also is there a github  for this project?

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #643 on: July 26, 2017, 09:03:24 AM »
Thank you for the response. I am willing to donate some funds if it gets you a new controller to continue dev work. Also is there a github  for this project?
Thank you  :beer:
Donations to benedikt.muessig (at gmail) via PayPal are always much appreciated and welcome. I have compiled a list of supporters that will soon be published to the official website of the project http://pandora-cnc.eu/

The entire project is open source and the repositories can be found here: https://github.com/Pandora-CNC

Best regards,
Benedikt

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #644 on: July 26, 2017, 09:57:14 AM »
Things move on very fast in this game.
Go to CNC workshop. cn and search for abrsnd new controller called a CW40
Supports 257M of memory, 4 axis can handle tool changes and addresses some of the downsides of the DSV

I have asked for a few PDF and will post it when I get it.
Looks to be roughly the same price. 
John Stevenson

Offline PPRINT

« Reply #645 on: July 26, 2017, 09:31:13 PM »
Just wanted to stop in and share that my controller is still rocking right along.  Super pleased with this investment.

I did want to share something strange I have had happen twice to me.  I use both the original USB stick and several other PNY brand sticks.  I removed all of the system config files from the original USB stick some time ago, but here recently I have had the control completely reboot and dump all home positions when I plug in the original stick that has nothing but .NC files on it.  I am not sure how or why, but it is happening.  I have not experienced this with the other sticks. 

My solution so far is to keep Benedikt's files on that USB at all times.  Seems to be solid again.

Anyone experience this?  Or have an explanation of what I might have done wrong?

Rob

Offline efrench

« Reply #646 on: July 26, 2017, 09:42:44 PM »
Supports 257M of memory, 4 axis can handle tool changes and addresses some of the downsides of the DSV

Is this the one you're talking about?  The video is from 2012...

Offline kwood94xj

« Reply #647 on: July 27, 2017, 07:05:03 AM »
PPRINT:   What OS are you using to view the files on the stick? Linux filesystems have several ways of hiding files and windows sometimes misses them. Have you tried a low level format of the drive?

Offline PPRINT

« Reply #648 on: July 27, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »
kwood...I am using windows 8.1.

I have not tried any re-formatting of that thumb drive yet.  To be honest I have no idea how.  I'll do a little surfing of the net and see what I can find for a tutorial.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rob 

Offline blades

« Reply #649 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »

Is this the one you're talking about?  The video is from 2012...

There's no WAY that controller can be anywhere near the same price range as the DDCSV1.1
Bill

- No best but better