Author Topic: SCRATCHED SPINDLE  (Read 4357 times)

Offline ieezitin

SCRATCHED SPINDLE
« on: July 23, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I noticed this afternoon while turning between centers i have a scratch inside my spindlenose right where the MT sleeve sits, I must have had a little debris between the sleeve and it spun in the bore, i an thinking about lapping it with crocas cloth on a round sided wooden stick to lap it out, before i do so how would you do it?

Thanks in Advance,                                   

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline nrml

Re: SCRATCHED SPINDLE
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »
Is it actually preventing morse tapers from sitting securely? If it isn't causing obvious problems, I'd let sleeping dogs lie. If the problem is minor, I'd try to get around the issue by using a draw bar. If it is bad enough that these don't work, I would consider attempting to grind the gouge out with a toolpost mounted die grinder. I'd practice first on some cheap morse taper sleeves from ebay before going for broke.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:25:58 PM »
I agree wirh nrml.....leave it alone...
You can only make things worse unless you  have a matching taper reamer...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
If it has not pulled any metal up I would leave alone , but a reamer is the way to go be aware that a little of the diamiter goes a lot more of the lenth .
Jeff

Offline hermetic

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
If you have a curved face fine slipstone, one that has a curvature of less than the spindles internal diameter, just give it a couple of strokes to see if it shows up any high spots, if it does, gently stone them away till it is smooth again small area of the bore that is low makes no difference, buy if part of it is high it will not seat square. We are talking about doing the absolute minimum to remove any high spots, that is all!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 05:36:20 PM »
Hmmm

I cant leave it alone it will bug the snot out of me.... I am going to blue it up with a sleeve and see what i have then do the slipstone gig that sounds a reasonable suggestion..

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts they are very much appreciated..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline j1312v

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:15:52 AM »
Try to use bearing scraper or a triangular scraper instead of the stone...you can remove material in a more "accurate" way.

Good luck

JB

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/scrapers-picks-and-hooks/4inch-three-square-engineers-scraper/p/KEN5182440K

I have a set of these scrapers for maintenance.  They come in useful for lots of other jobs too.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.