Author Topic: New Camera...  (Read 7248 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
New Camera...
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:01:18 PM »
Hi guys, I had a Nikon d50(?) DSLR a good few years ago but never truly got into using it. I have just bought myself a Canon 70d and I'm loving it!

Are there any photographers on here or camera enthusiasts. I'd like to know your thoughts on workshop photography and setups.

Cheers

Chris

Offline chipenter

Re: New Camera...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »
A wide angle lens is a must I can't far enugh away a lot of the time .
Jeff

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
Yes! I experience the same on my ipad and phone and also with this 18-55mm lens. A wide angle lens and a gorillapod are on the want list!

Chris

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:59 AM »
You may be aware but I think the real secret to getting swish looking film & photos is to colour grade/ post process them. Frank Howarth's videos are particularly fancy and you can tell he puts alot of effort into editing them. Way more than I could stomach! I like to pretend I go for the schlubby half-assed look on purpose.

Not sure what a great resource is for information on colour grading. This guy's videos are okay, but anything even slightly artistic seems to require alot of digging to find actual information hidden in the piles of Sponsored Content, misinformation, and pomposity. And i've yet to find any kind of single great resource.

For photographing/ filming workshop stuff it's worth trying to prevent the object of interest from blending into the background too much. It's not high art and framing isn't that big a deal, but it's nice if you can easily identify what you're supposed to be looking at in any given photo/ scene.

Sorry if i'm kind of stating the obvious by the way. It's like I make a few youtube videos and suddenly think i'm an expert...

Oh i'd also get one of those UV filters for your lens if you don't already have one. If you're as clumsy as me then it's just a matter of time till you get a spray of sparks embedded into the lens glass.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
I have a canon as well, (7d mk1), used to be big into photography, even entered some comp's.

I've had Dslr's for 6-7 years, but it was only last year when asked to take photo's for a friend's wedding (my 3rd wedding as "official" photographer) I rented a better lens (17-55mm f2.8) and was blown away by the improvement in quality. Even without any post-processing in photoshop, the quality was noticeably better.

If I was taking photo's more regularly I would def' buy that lens, it blew my 18-85mm f4.5-5.6 out of the water.

It doesn't matter too much how many mega-pixies you have, the biggest difference is found by putting quality glass in front of the sensor.

As for workshop photography, the things I try to achieve are;

Neutral and even lighting. I tend to use a flashgun bounced off the ceiling to give flat, even light. (then try to make sure that the white-balance is set so that all the photos have the same colour tint or lack of tint)

Make sure focus is on the the part you are wanting to highlight and not the background. Also have enough Depth of Field so all of what you want in focus is actually in focus (especially important with close up shots and Macro shots)

Use a bit of white card/paper to put the part on unless the "shot" is to show it being machined on Lathe/mill/machine.

Put something in the frame to show scale, and something that is fairly well-known worldwide, ie a Pencil, Mug.

Fill the frame or crop the photo so that the object fills the photo so that there's little wasted space. (especially important on forums)

That's all I can think of

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:47 PM »
I'm a heathen, all photography and video is shot on an iPod Touch.  If I need an ultra close up, a hand held magnifier or my glasses over the lens   :thumbup:

My telephoto is a cheap spotting scope.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:22:16 AM »
A large piece of card or a cloth is useful to put behind whatever you're taking a picture of to hide the background.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
A plain coloured dark towel works really well as it absorbs stray light and lets your eye dwell on the subject matter.

Decent flash gun helps as well with a diffuser.

Have fun.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:05 AM »
I agree Howsitwork,
     Plus, if you don't have or cannot find your flash diffuser I have found placing a facial tissue (Kleenex) over the flash works wonders and gets rid of hot spots / glare in the photo. Specially if you have to work up real close it also cuts down the flash strength.
    John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 02:04:33 PM »
I agree Howsitwork,
     Plus, if you don't have or cannot find your flash diffuser I have found placing a facial tissue (Kleenex) over the flash works wonders and gets rid of hot spots / glare in the photo. Specially if you have to work up real close it also cuts down the flash strength.
    John B

Thanks for all the suggestions. John, that's an interesting one!
Has anyone used those little photo pop up tents on eBay, £20 for a 50x50cm or there shouts. I'm just thinking its a white background and should help with light.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:47:46 PM »
never tried 'em so sorry can't help.

If you need hard cardboard ask at shop eg Boots who throw out lads of white backed card board everytime offers change.  with a scored line to help it folds well and "instant background".

Have fun :D

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 03:57:25 PM »
Has anyone used those little photo pop up tents on eBay, £20 for a 50x50cm or there shouts. I'm just thinking its a white background and should help with light.

Yes, I have one. They are really great for the "Finished" part shots (assuming they will fit in the tent) Mine came with a couple of extra coloured panels, red blue and black I think, the black one was good to put on the base, and then I put a piece of glass on top and then the part/project sat on top of the glass, it created a very nice reflection of the project. Then you can use a couple of off-camera flashes either side of the tent, or at a pinch use a couple of household lamps and put the camera on a tripod and use lower shutter speeds. (the advantage of using household lamps is that you can see how the light is falling on the model before you take the picture)

Well worth the few pounds it cost.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:18:26 AM »
I agree with Tim's idea about household lamps and seeing how the light falls. Plus, with modern digital cameras and computers compensating for the colour temperature is a snap.

All depends on how involved you want to get with the photographing process.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline hanermo

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:55 AM »
Sony NEX7.

Absolutely amazing.
Pro results, from semi-pro budget (and yes I worked in pro video (in it)).

Optics and sensor are amazing.
They discontinued the nex7, and new ones are more $$ with same (?) sensor.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 04:30:18 PM »
I use a Nikon D90 I bought a while back, with a rather excellent 18-300mm lens on it I've also got an 11-16mm ultrawide if I really need, but after reading Ken Rockwell's site, I try to find funky things to do with that lens, rather than "get it all in" photography. I barely post-process any of my photos, I just crop them if necessary, re-size for web use if that's their destination & use them as-is. I may also add a watermark, if I can find the software at the time.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

RobWilson

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 07:54:06 AM »
Afternoon Lads

Cracking tips  :thumbup: 

I just use a humble Lumix FZ38 , point and shoot method  :palm:   cant complain as its give good service over the passed 6 years , I like how compact it is ,great for travelling .BUT!  I really  could  do with a camera that I can fit a wide angled lens to , so many times in museums I just  cant get back enough to get what ever in shot , say like a large beam engine .

So any recommendations on a small compact DSLR   that I can have just two lens , I dont want to be lugging a bag load of camera kit all over Europe .

Rob

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 09:00:48 AM »
.....So any recommendations on a small compact DSLR   that I can have just two lens.......

Rob - do you really want a DSLR?  There are some cracking "mirrorless" cameras which lose the bulk and weight of the prism, mirror etc.   For example, I have a Sony "NEX 5R" which I chose for its light weight (I use it for aerial photogrammetry from one of my UAVs) - couple of quick snaps attached.

Dave (IOM)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:26:24 AM by DMIOM »

RobWilson

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 09:27:19 AM »

Rob - do you really want a DSLR? 

Dave (IOM)

Hi Dave

Nope , I just thought that was my only option if I was to have interchangeable lenses . What you have looks like just the job  :thumbup:  ,I will look into mirrorless cameras .

Thanks Rob

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »
I did a lot of research and went with the Canon 70d. It's an amazing camera, I've just taken it to Spain with me. You can easily hold it out at arms length and selfie :-) and I appreciate that may not be your thing, but shows it is light! However, the real reason I purchased is because it gets amazing reviews for the video! The alternative would have been the Canon g7x mk2 if I'd have chosen a point and shoot.