Author Topic: Cleaning taps & dies that have surface rust  (Read 8691 times)

Offline mexican jon

Cleaning taps & dies that have surface rust
« on: August 12, 2016, 11:27:16 PM »
Whilst sorting through the cupboards in the workshop  :scratch: I discovered a lot of loose taps & dies that have been forgotten for a long time  :( Now whilst I probably don't need them as they haven't been used in such a long time it would seem wasteful to just throw them away  :loco: So he's the question whats the best way to clean them up? Some kind of chemical would be the preferred way as I can do them in batches.
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Cleaning taps & dies that have surface rust
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:49:31 AM »
Citric acid (Lemon juice) very cheep on E-bay as crystals.
Works a treat.
Trevor.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 03:58:13 AM »
Do you guy's have descaler for teakettles/coffeemakers in your stores? A 1/2l litre botle is cheap here and it has a mixture of citric / phosphorous accid. When heated near 70C is prety good in taking aways surface rust. Then little oiling/wax/WD40.

Bottles looks like this, but generic brands cost few euros here:
http://www.buyforhim.co.uk/Action::IFind--ID::B00J1M627I

Often the label describes these incredinets:
Aqua, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid, Dimethoxysilyl Ethylenediaminopropyl Dimethicone

Pekka

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »
Agree with Pekka,a warm solution works far quicker than cold.

Also look up info on electrolytic de-rusting tanks. This is also a very effective way to shift the oxide but leave the base metal unscathed.

After you have de-rusted the taps it may be a good idea to hone the cutting edges of the flutes with a profiled hand diamond lapper or india stone......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

inthesticks

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
Been meaning to try one of those ideas with my drawer full of files many of which are starting to build rust. Maybe with handles they will get used more often :lol:.

Cheers
CB

Offline Ed ke6bnl

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
a few month ago I tried the electrolysis method and it worked ok and messy, used an 8 am manual charger. messy and lots of work used sodium carbonate from a pool supply store.
I picked up a large handful of rust actually a bunch of rusty tooling for lathe, this time I put the parts in an old slow cooker my wife gave me and put in evaporust, my first time using it. In about 1 hr. all the rust was gone with a little rubbing. I then washed them and sprayed them with there rust preventer I also purchase. I am impressed with the product.  My next venture I will use vinegar straight and do a comparison. If you have a very large item maybe electrolysis may be the hot ticket. Have yet to get molasses and try it. SO FOR SMALL ITEMS EVAPORUST WILL BE YOUR FRIEND.  it can be returned to the bottle and reused.
1950 Ford F1 streetrod
1968 ecotec powered Baja Bug kink coil overs
1953 Chevy AD ready for 4 cyl. cummins and nv4500

Offline hermetic

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »
I get amazing results with cider vinegar, but it is actually my home made cider that went wrong, don't go to morrisons, it will cost you a fortune!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline rogprov

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »
I have a permanently set up electrolysis bath so anything rusty gets put in for a few hours. Works like magic. :)

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
I have a permanently set up electrolysis bath so anything rusty gets put in for a few hours. Works like magic. :)

Yes, it works very well and doesn't etch the surface of the steel like acid does.  :thumbup: