Author Topic: Wilson's Workshop Waffle  (Read 121626 times)

RobWilson

Re: Wilson's Workshop Waffle
« Reply #300 on: January 16, 2017, 05:56:34 PM »
Hi Phil

That the plan I had in mind, to use good old PVC pipe with push fit bends and the likes, and maybe some sort of cyclone contraption.  :dremel:

I think that maybe my workshop mods are suffering from Andrews project creep.  :palm:

Onwards and upwards chaps, Rob.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
Rob

well worth looking at B&Q for remote sensing sockets with control ( about 12 from memory for 3 ). You set the system up with a remote socket for power for the vacuum. You can then stand at machine and turn it on and off without moving - very handy. I ve used it for years for my dust extraction system for my wood lathe. Get the biggest damn vacuum you can fit in, axminster do a really good wall mounted one ( cos I can see you like things on walls :thumbup: )

Use the widest tube you can easily fit in and keep bends gradual; or you lose suction. Soil tube works and you can get bends with access ports in them, which makes clearing blockages easier.

Just take care , with all your singularities you don't vanish up you're own orifice with a loud quack like the Ouzlem - Ouzlem bird :lol: :lol:

Ian

Offline micktoon

« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2017, 06:38:08 PM »
Hi Rob, I used 2inch waste pipe for my dust extraction in the wood shed, its push fit but a good tight fit so no need to glue, then you can take it apart if needed. You can get swept tees with blanks so where you have a 90 degree bend you can also have a cap to take off in case of things getting blocked. The plastics center at Kingston Park do the stuff and are cheap too.  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

RobWilson

« Reply #303 on: January 30, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
Evening Chaps  :beer:

A bit of an update on the workshop, things are starting to become more ship shape, I can now walk the entire length of the workshop without having to step over something.  :med:

I stuck up a bit more Bott pegboard tonight, I had to move a socket, so while I was on I fit another double socket for my battery chargers.  :dremel:

The 40 Amp 240v supply for the phase converter is in, had to move a socket, so mounted a 16 amp 240v socket there while I was on.  :zap:

And I also swapped the 440v socket on the phase converter for one that would point to the rear, the original panel mount socket had the plug sticking out at 90 degrees.

Tomorrow, I think I will devise something to make the phase converter more maneuverable.  :coffee:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #304 on: January 30, 2017, 04:40:20 PM »
Looking canny Rob  :thumbup:, it must be nice not having to step over stuff too. Did you ever dicide what you were going to do with the extraction system ? I am still deciding if a trolly type idea or a wall bracket is better for my converter  :scratch:
  Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
brill rob :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
That’s a lot of work there Rob; Just wanted to ask about your Schneider distribution panel. Have you managed to get all the accessories for it?  Looking around the net sellers have limited Schneider items advertised. Can you let me know who your supplier is please? I am up to the stage of making a gallows frame and fitting a 3 phase supply on the wall of my garage for a temporary work area and get something going until I can build a proper workshop at the end of the garden.  :zap:

RobWilson

« Reply #307 on: February 01, 2017, 11:17:19 AM »
Just wanted to ask about your Schneider distribution panel. Have you managed to get all the accessories for it?  Looking around the net sellers have limited Schneider items advertised. Can you let me know who your supplier is please?   :zap:

:scratch:  Are you joking?  Did you use Google? 

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=schneider+3+pole+mcb

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=schneider+4+pole+incomer

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/automation-control-gear/circuit-protection-circuit-breakers/mcbs/#esid=4294957372&applied-dimensions=4294759608,4294964965

I think the village shop stocks Schneider 3 pole MCB's , but they don't have a web site  :palm:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #308 on: February 01, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
Thanks Rob, I was hoping you found a cheaper place than RS and some of the others on the web. By the way did you use a direct line for each machine or a 3 phase ring main?

RobWilson

« Reply #309 on: February 01, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
Thanks Rob, I was hoping you found a cheaper place than RS and some of the others on the web. By the way did you use a direct line for each machine or a 3 phase ring main?

You could try Ebay, there is a fair bit of used gear on there. aye, industrial gear can get a bit pricey.

Yes one machine one MCB, when I get that far, no three phase machines wired in as of yet.

With the exception of my grinders, I have moved the grinders, TCG's and surface grinder so they are now grouped together and they will share one MCB as they all have motors of very similar amperage, this will cut down the need for 4 MCB's for the grinding machines  to 1, and the need for only one cable back to the phase converter. 

Rob

Offline appletree

« Reply #310 on: February 01, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »
Just wanted to ask about your Schneider distribution panel. Have you managed to get all the accessories for it?  Looking around the net sellers have limited Schneider items advertised. Can you let me know who your supplier is please?   :zap:

:scratch:  Are you joking?  Did you use Google? 

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=schneider+3+pole+mcb

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=schneider+4+pole+incomer

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/automation-control-gear/circuit-protection-circuit-breakers/mcbs/#esid=4294957372&applied-dimensions=4294759608,4294964965

I think the village shop stocks Schneider 3 pole MCB's , but they don't have a web site  :palm:

You appear to be very capable and some or all of the things you have made are very well presented, in fact awesome, however we all have differing capabilities, I really don’t think there is that much need for cinicism, all our pockets are different depths and we are all supposed to be friends on here, yes its easy when you know how. Not meant as an attack more a a different view point, without malice Phil     

RobWilson

« Reply #311 on: February 01, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »

You appear to be very capable and some or all of the things you have made are very well presented, in fact awesome, however we all have differing capabilities, I really don’t think there is that much need for cinicism, all our pockets are different depths and we are all supposed to be friends on here, yes its easy when you know how. Not meant as an attack more a a different view point, without malice Phil     

Evening Phil,  :scratch:

Any chance you could explain, you have lost me!

OP asked a question

Looking around the net sellers have limited Schneider items advertised. Can you let me know who your supplier is please? 

My reply

Are you joking?  Did you use Google? 

I really thought he was joking, as googling Schneider brings up hundreds of hits, as my two links showed.

Mmm, that could be why I chose a Schneider Loadcenter, because MCB,s are available from just about everywhere. I could have gone Square D.

You said,

all our pockets are different depths

No price was mentioned!

So what's that about?

we are all supposed to be friends on here

I did not realize me and Biggles had fallen out  :scratch:

But in reality WE are not all friends on here,  I have lots of friends on here,  BUT! I think some folks on the forum are complete knobs, and some will more that likely think similarly of me, that's life.  :thumbup: 

Rob

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #312 on: February 01, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
:bugeye:  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Quote from: RobWilson
BUT! I think some folks on the forum are complete knobs, and some will more that likely think similarly of me, that's life.  :thumbup: 

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 05:05:24 AM by mexican jon »
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline appletree

« Reply #313 on: February 02, 2017, 04:18:48 AM »

Evening Phil,  :scratch:

Any chance you could explain, you have lost me!

OP asked a question

Looking around the net sellers have limited Schneider items advertised. Can you let me know who your supplier is please? 

My reply

Are you joking?  Did you use Google? 

I really thought he was joking, as googling Schneider brings up hundreds of hits, as my two links showed.

Mmm, that could be why I chose a Schneider Loadcenter, because MCB,s are available from just about everywhere. I could have gone Square D.

You said,

all our pockets are different depths

No price was mentioned!

So what's that about?

we are all supposed to be friends on here

I did not realize me and Biggles had fallen out  :scratch:

But in reality WE are not all friends on here,  I have lots of friends on here,  BUT! I think some folks on the forum are complete knobs, and some will more that likely think similarly of me, that's life.  :thumbup: 

Rob

I think we must just have different senses of humour, no problem.

Phil

Offline Biggles

« Reply #314 on: February 02, 2017, 03:18:08 PM »
I haven’t taken it bad, I should have made it clear in my first comment that it was the prices I was after or rather a cheaper price than the net. We are all still friends and  I haven’t fallen out with Rob or anybody else. thanks for the backup Phil.  :beer:

RobWilson

« Reply #315 on: February 03, 2017, 04:45:22 PM »
Evening Chaps  :dremel:

I nipped across to Ikea today and picked up a Billy phase converter doodad, the kit.

Tacked together.

And a quick try on for size.

I am just using up all the rusty short lengths of whatever I have at hand on this, tomorrow I will de-rust it and finish up the welding.

Cheers Rob.

Offline Joules

« Reply #316 on: February 03, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Nice frame Rob, my first thought was baby 3D printer.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

RobWilson

« Reply #317 on: February 03, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
Evening Joules,

my first thought was baby 3D printer.

That's because you eat, sleep and work 3D printers mate   :dremel:  how many are you running now 3 - 4   :med: , one day I will get round to building one.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2017, 05:59:13 PM »
Rob
Just a little query.
You have mitred the corners of the sides of your box, and tacked all the pieces into place. How did you treat the hidden mitres under the cross members, as they are now hidden.  :scratch:
I just like to try and follow your methodology.. :thumbup:
Pete

RobWilson

« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
Evening Pete,

The Joint,

I have not done or will do any welding to the mitered face, the fit up is good, but I will weld all around the rusty HZ member, the inside and outer corners of the miter joint. 

Cheers Rob

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2017, 04:59:00 AM »
Ah ha, I now see. Thanks Rob.
Looking forward to seeing how you stop the machine going walkabout, and how you put up with the noise.
Pete

Offline micktoon

« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2017, 05:11:48 AM »
Hi Rob are you planning on mounting the converter on the wall in its frame or putting it on castors so you can move it if you wanted or needed to ? Frame looks good  :thumbup:
  Cheers Mick

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2017, 05:35:50 AM »
Mick,

post #315 has a picture of the castors for your delight and delectation  :clap:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline micktoon

« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »
Thanks for that Andrew, I was viewing on a tablet and only realised now it does not show the full picture so have to drag it across to see the right hand side lol  :palm:, I have probably missed all sorts on posts before as just noticed now lol.
  Cheers Mick

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
That's the problem with huge pictures being loaded - would be fine as 640 x 480  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex