Author Topic: Wilson's Workshop Waffle  (Read 121037 times)

RobWilson

Re: Wilson's Workshop Waffle
« Reply #325 on: February 04, 2017, 01:11:43 PM »
Evening Chaps  :dremel:

A wee bit more done today, welded up the frame and added the casters.

Then got distracted  :Doh:  I blame Pete  :poke:

Looking forward to seeing how you stop the machine going walkabout, and how you put up with the noise.
Pete

Well, I just had to see how load the phase converter will be.

Workshop at rest, nowt running. Phase converter power is on.

Phase converter running no load.

See that's not loud to my ears, maybe I am going deaf  :lol: , so I rigged up an extension lead and powered up one of the mills 5hp spindle motor plus coolant and power feed motors
running, noise levels stopped about the same and no movement of the phase converter .

Rob

Offline hermetic

« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
 If it gets to noisy you can always shove it outside on a fine day! Nice job mate, makes me realise how blessed I am to have 3 phase in. Mind you, it took a right dust up with the old man before he would stump up his half of it! (not) Happy days!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »
I use a samsung tablet and when the pics are too big you can touch the screen and press view picture / save pic ect.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Please be gentle with me if this is a silly question:   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch: 

When you make a welded frame of hollow section and with totally closed corners, do you have to drill a hole somewhere to let the section 'breathe' while the weld pool is still liquid? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2017, 12:23:00 PM »
Looking good Rob. I guess one of my problems is that it is so quiet here. :)
If the mill itself is running, the noise from the inverter is not noticeable, BUT unfortunately I have to have the inverter operating to generate the 110v for the DRO.
If the DRO is off, then nothing can be moved or else the readings are thrown out. It's not quite so bad, now the unit is on the other side of a 6" wall, but still obtrusive enough.
My unit only sits on its original rubber pads, so I have to re-visit it every so often to put it back where it should be.  :scratch:
Pete

RobWilson

« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
Please be gentle with me if this is a silly question:   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch: 

When you make a welded frame of hollow section and with totally closed corners, do you have to drill a hole somewhere to let the section 'breathe' while the weld pool is still liquid?

Hi Pete,

It is not a real concern, the MIG welding pool freezes fairly rapidly. 

Rob 

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »

Hi Pete,

It is not a real concern, the MIG welding pool freezes fairly rapidly. 

Rob

Cheers, Rob, thank you.   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

RobWilson

« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
Evening Chaps,

A wee update, slapped a couple of coats of rattle can black paint on the frame, oh! and added a 50mm upstand.

Decided to use two of the supplied rubber feet as buffers.   :med:

And added a plywood top that would make  Mr. Chippendale  turn in his grave  :lol:

Cheers Lads.   :thumbup:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 04:58:45 PM by RobWilson »

Offline krv3000

« Reply #333 on: February 11, 2017, 05:49:30 PM »
well dun rob

Offline Joe d

« Reply #334 on: February 11, 2017, 08:17:06 PM »
Looks good, Rob :thumbup:

Do you have somewhere to park it out of the way near one of the walls?

Joe

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #335 on: February 12, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »
Yup good stuff,

That last pic shows the correct test procedure for any new bench top Rob.  :coffee: I reckon the cuppa was well earned. I always like your posts.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #336 on: February 12, 2017, 05:31:09 AM »
  I nipped across to Ikea today and picked up a Billy phase converter doodad, the kit.
I know this is a daft question, Rob, but what did you get in Ikea?

I searched there site for "Billy phase converter dooda" :bugeye:

Ok I didn't :lol:
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #337 on: February 12, 2017, 05:44:00 AM »
Just make sure there is no mug on top when you switch it on... :thumbup:
Pete

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #338 on: February 12, 2017, 05:48:26 AM »
Nice trolley Rob, and made to your usual stout high quality  :thumbup:

I am a little puzzled though why you need it. I'd have thought tucking it away somewhere in a dark corner, and putting a three phase socket adjacent to each machine would have been for more ergonomic than trundling the tea trolley about, particularly when alternating between (say) the lathe and milling machine in a typical machining session  :scratch:

When I was running off a Transwave rotary converter at my last shop I ran a 'three phase ring main' round the room with multiple sockets, and power to the converter was run through the same contactor that operated my 'Emergency Stop' circuit on the 13a sockets. This meant when I'd finished for the day, I just had to press the red button by the exit when I went in for the night knowing everything was isolated except the lighting circuit.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #339 on: February 12, 2017, 06:07:40 AM »

I am a little puzzled though why you need it. I'd have thought tucking it away somewhere in a dark corner, and putting a three phase socket adjacent to each machine would have been for more ergonomic than trundling the tea trolley about, particularly when alternating between (say) the lathe and milling machine in a typical machining session  :scratch:

Hi Andrew,

You do have me puzzled  :scratch: ,   really, you thought I was actually going to move the phase converter to each machine!  where did I give that impression?

HINT

Why do I bother  :Doh:

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #340 on: February 12, 2017, 06:16:30 AM »
I probably read that post on my iPad and the big picture fell off the edge of the screen  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2017, 06:26:10 AM »
Hi Andrew,
You do have me puzzled  :scratch: ,   really, you thought I was actually going to move the phase converter to each machine! where did I give that impression?

Rob

:lol: :lol:
When you installed wheels on it
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:58:33 AM by mexican jon »
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

RobWilson

« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2017, 06:37:04 AM »
 :lol:  OK Andrew,

This thing has to go somewhere if it just sits on the floor that's  700mm x 700mm of floor space used up, put a frame around it and add a top, I get 700mm x 700mm of usable storage space back, while I am on its no hardship to just add four casters, this makes moving the thing allot easier and the rubber wheels will damp any vibration. 

I thought it was obvious  :coffee:   

Rob

Offline Biggles

« Reply #343 on: February 12, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Nice piece of work Rob, in my case I have just ordered some angle for a gallows frame on the wall. Unlike your setup I am still with Andrew’s idea of a ring main. That converter is a heavy beast I can confirm. If you have it on the ground then it will need moving at some stage to find the odd screw you dropped as they will always go behind something you can’t move.  :headbang:

RobWilson

« Reply #344 on: February 12, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
                          And there we go,

It fits, I wonder how that happened, It fits in what would otherwise have been dead space, as I could hardly have the lathe hard up to the door, as is I have 1500mm through the spindle from the front of the chuck jaws.

I also have access to the dead space at the rear of the lathe, somewhere to store my engine hoist, we don't all have two barns to have kit ideally placed, I just have to pi$$ with the cock I have.

And look, somewhere to pile crap on.

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #345 on: February 12, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »
Hey Rob, that's a brilliant dark corner to keep it - how lucky it just fits AND there's a handy power point  :lol: :lol:

( just in case you wondered  :poke: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #346 on: February 12, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
in my case I have just ordered some angle for a gallows frame on the wall. Unlike your setup I am still with Andrew’s idea of a ring main.

Remember to take a few photos Biggles   :poke:  , we likes photos we do  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #347 on: February 12, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Watch out for swarf finding its way down the spindle and dropping out down towards your RPC motor Rob.

Might want to bung it up or direct it away to some where safer.

Bill
Bill

RobWilson

« Reply #348 on: February 12, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »
Watch out for swarf finding its way down the spindle and dropping out down towards your RPC motor Rob.

Might want to bung it up or direct it away to some where safer.

Bill

Was planning on fitting a spindle bung if needed  Bill  :thumbup: ,

And I plan to add a few remote stop/start switches around the shop, so I don't have to keep walking back and forth to switch the phase converter on and off.  :zap:

Rob

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2017, 06:07:26 AM »
Looking good Rob.  I'm still plugging away with my shop.  I clean up one section and then end up piling it full of crap out of the next one on my list  :bang:  I spent the whole of today sorting out fasteners.  Funnily enough, the path to the beer fridge is nice and uncluttered  :beer: