Author Topic: Wilson's Workshop Waffle  (Read 121987 times)

Offline krv3000

Re: Wilson's Workshop Waffle
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2016, 05:38:57 PM »
ooo will have a look at the one near me

RobWilson

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2016, 11:09:00 AM »
Evening Chaps ,

I  managed to get four of those wall cabinets up over the weekend .  :dremel:

Rob  :beer:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
Looking good Rob,  :thumbup:
I tried my local Aldi, but no joy...none left... :doh:

Guess  I'll have to rethink my storage strategy.....the floor is getting rather full.... :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
Nice cupboards Rob  :thumbup:

I do envy you your RSJ hoist - looks very handy in a grunt preventing sort of way

Are you absolutely SURE that you have enough milling machines in that workshop  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2016, 12:15:33 PM »
Looking good Rob,  :thumbup:
I tried my local Aldi, but no joy...none left... :doh:

Guess  I'll have to rethink my storage strategy.....the floor is getting rather full.... :lol:

Cheers John

There is a few cabinets on Ebay   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wall-Mounted-Lockable-Garage-Steel-Cabinet-Boxed-Unopened-/282245496231?hash=item41b7247da7:g:lGoAAOSw5cNYHhI9  NO ! thats not me selling the ones I have  :lol:       £70  :loco:

I still have my big shelf to finish , then I should have room for everything I have lying about on the shop floor   :ddb:

Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2016, 12:21:06 PM »

I do envy you your RSJ hoist - looks very handy in a grunt preventing sort of way

Are you absolutely SURE that you have enough milling machines in that workshop  :lol:

Cheers Andrew  :beer:

Aye the wee RSJ pull lift combo comes in handy at time , especially when the need arises to  support the end of something  long .

Mmmmmm , one could always do with more milling machines  :dremel:  ,,,,,,,,, I dare bet you have more than I  :poke:

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
Just a Bridgeport manual and the Beaver Partsmaster CNC, and the Bridgeport doubles as a drill press in the metal shop.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
 :scratch:  I was under the impression you had at least two manual mills Andrew .

Rob

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2016, 12:44:57 PM »

Aye the wee RSJ pull lift combo comes in handy at time , especially when the need arises to  support the end of something  long .

Mmmmmm , one could always do with more milling machines  :dremel:  ,,,,,,,,, I dare bet you have more than I  :poke:

Rob

Mmmm, RSJ hoist, I guess that's to lift the cabinets.

Then you have to get up there with the electric drill to make the fixings.  I was assuming you'd stand on the table of the nearest mill (you know, with so many there's bound to be one within reach!).

What I couldn't work out was how you'd reach to wind up the knee with the drill in one hand, the wall-plugs in the other and the screw-driver between your teeth!
   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

RobWilson

« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
 :lol: Aye the mill tables get close at times Pete  :palm:

Well made a wee bit more progress with my large shelf tonight ,I was pushed on by the arivel today of my second order of plastic storage tubs .

(I needed  somewhere to put them )

First section I did the other day , this replaces an older shelf I had up across the door ,this one is higher .
 The door will be replaced in the spring with something more to my needs ,I really dislike up and over doors .

So I welded up the right hand section tonight ,I had to use an old oil filed welded to do the welding as I could not get to the MIG  ,way to much crap in the way  :palm:

May tackle the left hand leg tomorrow night , well if its not raining .

Rob

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2016, 05:06:34 PM »
Cant wait for a coffee at yours and a tour next time I'm up that way... :)
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2016, 05:38:41 PM »

Rob

Mmmm, RSJ hoist, I guess that's to lift the cabinets.

Then you have to get up there with the electric drill to make the fixings.  I was assuming you'd stand on the table of the nearest mill (you know, with so many there's bound to be one within reach!).

What I couldn't work out was how you'd reach to wind up the knee with the drill in one hand, the wall-plugs in the other and the screw-driver between your teeth!
   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:
Is this when he earns the nickname clever dick ?

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »
Blimey Rob, that's some storage arrangement :bow:

I 'm going to have to re configure my shop as just been left some stuff by a relative. Don't see any "skyhooks for clamps" up there yet? :med:

What's with the milling machine fetish?. one cabinet per machine and clean (ish) walls really classy mate nicely done. Daren't show mine on here ( as can only fit in sideways past the metal bandsaw).

Regards Ian

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
Hi Rob, very impressive shelving but surely you are violating a MAJOR engineering rule:

Stuff expands to fill the available storage space!

So more space = more stuff!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2016, 05:47:58 AM »
Hi there, Rob,

Wow, that's some storage capacity you've got there!   :drool:   :drool:   :drool: 

I guess you'll need a good labelling system to keep track of that's where.

I see that you've got a suspension bar from the ceiling.  What is the ceiling material, it looks like painted OSB? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
My "system" uses similar boxes but of different sizes, as my "stuff" is not all the same. All the boxes are indexed on the computer, so in theory I should be able to find what I am looking for . :-)This pic is some of them, when the building had nearly been completed,..... before the space got filled up.  :scratch:
Pete

RobWilson

« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2016, 11:30:43 AM »
Cant wait for a coffee at yours and a tour next time I'm up that way... :)

You have an invite to the grand re opening John  :thumbup:

Are you up this way over the Christmas ?  If so call in .

Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2016, 11:36:18 AM »
Blimey Rob, that's some storage arrangement :bow:

I 'm going to have to re configure my shop as just been left some stuff by a relative. Don't see any "skyhooks for clamps" up there yet? :med:

What's with the milling machine fetish?. one cabinet per machine and clean (ish) walls really classy mate nicely done. Daren't show mine on here ( as can only fit in sideways past the metal bandsaw).

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

Sky hooks  for G clamps ,,,,,,,,,,,,well thats in the other shop  :lol:

I just like machine tools ,I also have five lathes  :palm:  ,I have noticed my walls are looking very grubby ,not bad for 18 years of coolant being splashed about ,but I think its time for a re paint ,so bought some paint today . The cabinets just worked out that way .

Cheers Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:31 AM »
Hi there, Rob,

Wow, that's some storage capacity you've got there!   :drool:   :drool:   :drool: 

I guess you'll need a good labelling system to keep track of that's where.

I see that you've got a suspension bar from the ceiling.  What is the ceiling material, it looks like painted OSB?

Cheers Pete

I have ordered a set of 2" vinyl numbers to stick on the boxes , plan label boxes 1 to what ever   and have a book with one page per box listing content .

The ceiling is 9mm OSB board    :thumbup:, the hangers fixings go through the OSB board into the 6x2 ceiling joist ,thats why the shelf end piece protrudes passed the front  face of the shelf so I could fix to the joist , did you think it was just fixed to the 9 mm board ? 

Cheers Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »
My "system" uses similar boxes but of different sizes, as my "stuff" is not all the same. All the boxes are indexed on the computer, so in theory I should be able to find what I am looking for . :-)This pic is some of them, when the building had nearly been completed,..... before the space got filled up.  :scratch:
Pete

Nice setup Pete  :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »
Looking good Rob ,funny as I looked at the photos I thought the walls were looking grubby next to new cabinets. Is the new Colchester staying in that spot or just there until you get things sorted out for final set up ? You should have a mill for any occasion now by the look of it lol.
  Cheers Mick

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »

Cheers Pete

I have ordered a set of 2" vinyl numbers to stick on the boxes , plan label boxes 1 to what ever   and have a book with one page per box listing content .

The ceiling is 9mm OSB board    :thumbup:, the hangers fixings go through the OSB board into the 6x2 ceiling joist ,thats why the shelf end piece protrudes passed the front  face of the shelf so I could fix to the joist , did you think it was just fixed to the 9 mm board ? 

Cheers Rob

Well, no, I was confident it would be secure (you know, the tie-bar right through the ceiling, and the roof, and anchored to a reinforced concrete parabolic arch spanning the entire building!).
   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb:   :lol:   :ddb: 

But then, when that flight of fancy wore off, I looked at your picture again and wondered if your joists run across the building or along it??   :scratch:   :scratch:

{Sort of apology: I'm being facetious because I've had to sit by the phone all day waiting for an important phone call so I haven't been able to get in to the workshop!!  I want to get back to grips with my Delrin!!!!!}
Best regards,

Pete W.

Offline Joules

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
I had to double read that it was WALLS

:lol:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2016, 02:51:11 PM »
He has only covered all the walls with cupboards and shelves to save money on the paint!!!!!!!! :lol:

John

RobWilson

« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2016, 04:32:18 PM »
Evening Lads  :wave:

Not allot done today ,but I did finish the left hand shelf .

All thats left to do is fix the plywood to the steel work  :dremel: then I have 6.5 meters of shelf to fill up  :)

The last of the T2 tool holders arrived this morning , the post man loves me  :lol: :lol:

I picked up a second T2 Tool post to replace the ye oldie 4 way on the Student Lathe .

This way bought lathes can share the same tooling .

Cheers Rob