Author Topic: Mini Lathe Carriage Stop - my first project!  (Read 18560 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Mini Lathe Carriage Stop - my first project!
« on: May 12, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »
Hi Guys

Well I finally decided to take on my first project which really was a huge learning curve. This was all done on the mini lathe with some gentle milling carried out with the job clamped up in the toolpost for the V cut for the prismatic ways. I think I was more pleased in how I learned that projects can be salvaged from any material and any shape of scrap.... previously I would have tried to purchase the starting materials in sizes similar to what was needed. I have made some mistakes during the project - primarily due to "not having the right tool for the job" and having to make do. This really was a milling exercise - so facing up the sides of the blocks with only a 3 jaw chuck on the lathe was not ideal and could have been done more accurately if milled however would be keen to learn how it can be done accuratey on the lathe.
It took me a ridiculous amount of time - I bet 4-5 hours of work and I`m sure many of you could knock one of these out within the hour. The original plans were by Ralph Patterson and can be found with a google. The screw which is the stopper coming out of the side does not need the brass collar and neither does it need the square end cap - but I wanted to practice a little more lathe work. I spent quite a while polishing up the top part as an exercise, lapping and then buffing. As a working tool, once I had polished the top part I decided not to waste quite as much time polishing the bottom. It works and fits the lathe perfectly and so this project has given me much more confidence. I wanted to say thanks to you all, I do ask a lot of questions but I do listen to your advice.

This is the starting material - a block of ally from salvage - haven`t a clue what it was.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Mini Lathe Carriage Stop - my first project!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Nice job. I bet the satisfaction level was quite high?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »
Nice one Chris

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Its always hard to dip the first toe in the water.

Have Fun

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:18:34 PM »
Satisfaction level was immense!  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: Cheers guys.

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
Now you are getting there Chris.

Just get in there, use your imagination and do it. If it fails, so what, we all fail sometimes.

You can ask all the questions in the world, but until you get the confidence to try it off your own back, you won't progress any further.

That is a great first project result, and I am sure it will come in super handy.

Well done, first hurdle over, now onto the next one.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »
Who'd have thought that bit of scrap could be turned into something useful,  :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:31:44 PM »
Satisfaction level was immense! 
That's what it's all about Chris  :beer:

Who'd have thought that bit of scrap could be turned into something useful,  :clap:
Well I often turn useful lumps of metal into scrap ..................... does that count  :hammer:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »
Nice one Chris. I'm sure your confidence level just increased 10 fold.  :clap: :thumbup:

Now on to the next project.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline websterz

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 09:00:12 PM »
Well done Chris!

There is no such thing as scrap, only a smaller project hiding in there that the last guy didn't notice.  :med:

How about a pic of it installed and doing it's thing?

What's next? Now that you know you can mill on the lathe do I see an indicator holder in your future?  :beer:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 11:37:08 PM »
WOW VERY NICE!

NOTHING like the original thing!  Very nicely executed. :)
SPiN Racing

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »
Cheers chaps:

Now that you know you can mill on the lathe do I see an indicator holder in your future?

Now that I know I can mill - my next project is a vertical slide using Vermont Al idea of mounting the compound slide on angle plate and then the other side onto the cross slide. A small drill vice is then mounted to the now vertical compound. I have a very small drill vice 1 1/2 inch and I went to RDG tools to buy a angle plate lat night. I have all the bits, so I`m going to make a start tonight. Then onto the indicator holder, then the deapth guage, then ....  :proj:

Chris

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:10:01 AM »
VERY nicely done Chris!  :thumbup:

That`s something I really need.......  ::)

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline websterz

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 06:37:56 AM »
Cheers chaps:

Now that you know you can mill on the lathe do I see an indicator holder in your future?

Now that I know I can mill - my next project is a vertical slide using Vermont Al idea of mounting the compound slide on angle plate and then the other side onto the cross slide. A small drill vice is then mounted to the now vertical compound. I have a very small drill vice 1 1/2 inch and I went to RDG tools to buy a angle plate lat night. I have all the bits, so I`m going to make a start tonight. Then onto the indicator holder, then the deapth guage, then ....  :proj:

Chris

You're gonna' fit right in here!  :mmr: :nrocks:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med: