Author Topic: Inquiry about a connecting rod problem  (Read 3181 times)

Offline Oyvber

Inquiry about a connecting rod problem
« on: August 28, 2016, 02:21:13 PM »
I have a long lasting garageproject that Im working on when the opportunity presents itself. I have been taken advantage of the forum here earlier, and I see that there are a great deal of inputs on peoples projects.
Allright, enough flattery - Im building a car engine with a slightly alternative layout then OEM. My current problem is to find a suitable connecting rod, and so far Ive only found one that will fit in the size on the big end, but it does not fit in width.

Without having calculated on exactly the distance we are talking about approximately 3 mm, so it is not small. Anybody have suggestions for a possible solution?
I have tried Dr. Google, but there are only a few who write about it, and the few that have are talking about 0,0xxmm so we are not in the same ballpark.
I imagine that it must be possible to put some kind of skims or spacer, and I hardly think it will go if I order me a suitable big end bearing which is appropriate to the crank and the rod big end.

Would just like to note that this is a low cost, fun for dad, project where I try things both for learning and because I can. (hopefully)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Inquiry about a connecting rod problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
Hi Oyvber welcome on board  :beer:

Why don't you put a thread in the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself and your projects
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:04:46 AM »
Oyvber,if you can source a rod with slightly smaller big end or small end they can be honed out to the larger size.

My route with something like this would be to have a set machined to size from one of the after market performance rod manufacturers. They aren't a s expensive as some might imagine,but if you're on a absolute shoe string budget then a no goer I guess........OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Oyvber

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I have looked quite a bit in to it, but unfortunately not the easiest. It separates so many mm that it will not be possible, the ones I've found so far that is.

The alternative is of course to get some of an aftermarket manufacturer as you point out, and it appears that I will have to. But must say I think it had been quite fun to see if I found an alternative way.
- Pistons with rods I've looked at was a fraction of the price I saw for me to use, so maybe I'll take a chance to book to see.