Author Topic: What is the deal of dressing grinding disc to a knwn angle?  (Read 3861 times)

Offline PekkaNF

What is the deal of dressing grinding disc to a knwn angle?
« on: August 31, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »
I would like to grind pretty flat surface and dovetail surfaces.

I would like to dress grinding wheel straight and to a controlled angle. How to do it?

Right - I need a mounted single point diamond and the point where diamond touches the grinding wheel should be trailing a little on the direction of the movement - and rotational movement of the wheel. That is pretty much all I could find.

I have straightened off hand grinder wheels and produced whole lot of dust, but this is bit different.

Or is really that simple: power on the wheel and use fine feed across the wheel face?

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: What is the deal of dressing grinding disc to a knwn angle?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:18:20 AM »
On a surface grinder you would use something like my 'PG Optidress' that lets you dress complex angles and radii onto a wheel.

However I suspect you perhaps are not using a surface grinder, but a separate spindle mounted grinding wheel? In which case you need to mount your dressing diamond onto a tilting stage that you can set to your angle and process under the wheel along a screw motion drive of some sort
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »
I actually have one grinder, could be used as a surface grinder, but stroke is less than a metre....so there will be another small spindle and a all that stuff.

But I would like to prepared. traditional dressing I think I get in principle.

Like lets supose you have a surface grinder, but you need to dress the grinding wheel straight to an angle that is not parallel to any axle.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:30:07 PM »
Fixture tilted to the required angle holding a slide of some sort that the diamond mounts on.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 05:35:55 AM »
OK found some useful information.

I'm searching Sine Dresser fixture, something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Angle-Grinding-Dresser-Fixture/dp/B00FZEE92G

Near vertical setup is not forte for sine, but probably could match it so original angle (close to 55 degrees?)

I could buy one if I'll find one close enough, but something like that looks doable or worth of rescuing.
http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/shop/habit-sine-grinding-wheel-dressing-fixture-for-restoration/

I'm sharing these links:

YT: How to Dress an Angle or Radius on a Surface Grinder Wheel (SuburbanTool Inc)

SINGLE POINT DIAMOND DRESSING TIPS
http://www.diamondtooling.com/article_diamond_usage_01.html

Pekka