Author Topic: My Shop Compressors  (Read 5951 times)

inthesticks

My Shop Compressors
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
I have 3 shop compressors which I built from purchased and salvaged components.When I worked at Orenda Aerospace the pneumatic HVAC system was decommissioned in favour of a centralized building management system. Each building and department had its own air receiver, employees were given first chance at salvage before the scrappers came in, I managed to get 3 tanks. Over the years I purchased 3 pumps, 3 press. switches and 2 motors. The rest is mostly salvage and stuff I had around the shops.

The first pic. is my garage/workshop compressor, its 3 HP and puts out tons of air.
The 2nd pic. is my heated shops compressor, its 1.5 HP .
The 3rd pic is my outdoor equipment shed compressor. I built this one shortly after building this place to maintain my vehicles and outdoor equipment some 15 years ago. It has a salvaged 3/4 HP motor and has served me well for those 15 years. It now needs a good cleaning belt guard and paint job.

Cheers
CB

RobWilson

Re: My Shop Compressors
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:00:01 PM »
I have one  :(

Rob

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »
Just looked at your three compressors CB. If the third one has been 15 years without a belt guard is it not a tad late?
  Anyway, the way they all seem to be located the guards are not doing much unless you stick your fingers through the wall behind them. Or am I looking from a weird angle? Guards seem to be against the wall and not protecting you from the side you took the photographs.That's what I see anyway.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

inthesticks

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »
Your right John B its actually under the end of the work bench making the belt area quite hard to get at which is why I didn,t bother 15 years ago.Lately I have had to tap the switch a few times when starting from 0 so the piping or the switch need cleaning or replacing. I figure while I have it out I will paint it and finish it properly with a guard.

Cheers
CB
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:50:22 AM by inthesticks »

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 02:00:46 AM »
Fair 'nuff. Whilst you have it out it is probably time to have a look see inside the tank if possible. After 15 years in use there could be corrosion in there so worth a look.
Then guards and paint it pretty (John Deer Green) ha ha.    :lol:

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

inthesticks

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 02:23:29 AM »
There will undoubtedly be some rust after some 56 years in service no matter how well you drain it after service. When the first pin hole leak appears it gets replaced and the old tank becomes another project. Battleship grey I think why change a good thing.

Cheers
CB

inthesticks

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 10:53:04 AM »
 :update:Decided to get my shed compressor off my to-do list. Checked piping clean and dry, checked press. switch some dust and dirt build up, blew out gave lite coat of WD-40 and blew out again. Oil change, filter cleaning, new guard and paint job and we are ready to roll again. Last pic. back in its cubby hole again.

Cheers
CB