Author Topic: Dual Brazing Fixture Light Welding Positioner  (Read 8157 times)

inthesticks

Dual Brazing Fixture Light Welding Positioner
« on: September 07, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »
Scratch another one off my to-do list. This is my version of the fixture pictured in my web pictures thread. This version is on a pipe 3 legged floor stand and will handle much larger work. It is much more adjustable, the table can be raised or lowered 5" and it rotates 360* in the horizontal and vertical plane. There are 4 slots to accept clamps or vise grip type clamp downs. It will handle brazing jobs and even better small welding positioning jobs. Construction is all pipe fittings accept table which is a salvaged motor mount from a junked motor stand.

Cheers
CB

RobWilson

Re: Dual Brazing Fixture Light Welding Positioner
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 03:51:24 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:  nicely  done CB  .it looks very versatile  :thumbup:

Rob

inthesticks

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
Thanks Rob. It will get a lot of use. This old body can't weld in anything but the standing upright position any more.  :)

Cheers
CB

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
I know that feeling problem is I have to do it for a living  :Doh:
Nice fixture though I have thought of something similar that locates into the ground in my workshop so it would be inter-changable with other fixtures and the hole can be capped off to avoid breaking my neck.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

inthesticks

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
That is a great idea shipto. The working head on mine is attached to the stand with a threaded connection so you can change the head out for another with different applications. A solid floor mounting is a good idea to it will allow for heavier work. The feet on mine has holes drilled for bolting down. I need to install a few well placed floor inserts in my shop floors.  :)

Cheers
CB

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:02 AM »
That looks really good. Post some more photos when in use. Usually I'll gobble up some stuff from HRS angle/rod etc. tack weld it together and take it on the trunk of the car for brother to weld. Your solution is far more elegant.

Pekka

inthesticks

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 12:13:21 PM »
Here's a simple angle frame set up PekkaNF. You can do the same with vice and clamps but this allows you to rotate the work for good welding positions on all joints and you don't have to worry about clamps getting in the way of where you want to weld. Once everything is snugged down it maintains angular positions better than vice and clamps which can be clumsy to set up.

Cheers
CB

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
I cheated and found this at Quality tools last year but it would be nice to be able to rotate something.

inthesticks

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
Pretty heavy duty but it only does one thing, right angle clamps. What kind of bike are you riding there. Those are pretty large frames, what are you building, You should document it, love to see different projects, their a source of many ideas.  :)

Cheers
CB

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 03:33:42 PM »
One is a 63 BSA B40 350 single the other is a 73 Norton 750 HighRider the third is a  65 250 BSA  basket case they all need tlc though. I had a Harley but the bastard turned left in 08 putting me on long term disablilty  (nerve damage) till I'm 65. It turned out to be a blessing though as the Calgary Hearald shut down its presses about 2 years ago letting everyone go printing it elsewhere, meanwhile I still get full pay due to Manualife policy.
If any of you have a policy that gives the option to increase personal coverage it will bring you up to full pay rather than half a check should missfortune fall upon you.

inthesticks

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 03:50:47 PM »
Yea I had a semi-chopped 450 Honda twin that I toured the States and northern Mexico on when I was much younger I prefer workshop work now. So what are you building that required an expensive frame builders trade jig?

Cheers
CB

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Well right now I'm building a vacumformer for Protospace a maker comunity I belong to, I found it to be  a interesting build and a bit chalenging trying to get the slide to slide properly as the lifting action is on the outide causing it to twist and bind then again it's aluminum on aluminum which doesn't help I've a couple ideas so I'll see today with any luck I'll drop it off tonight.

inthesticks

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:57:44 PM »
Hey Tom, You should document and post it A good boost to your post #"s with a project like that. I would be interested, I have a couple DIY books on the subject. Those frames are steel not aluminum though. I'm assuming the form the base assembly.  :)

Cheers
CB