Author Topic: Need electricary help  (Read 3898 times)

Offline kayzed1

Need electricary help
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:59:14 PM »
Belle minigen 2000, i was using it ( well the lad was ) 1500w 4" grinder he has used with the genny hundreds of times and is well below max output. Engine revved up and stopped producing volts, it was set to 240v at the time it now does not produce power in either 110 or 240volt
settings. I have taken the cover off and see it has a capacitor and not a regulator, the cap looks ok ( not puffed up or black or burst open ) so
how do i test it please?  Ow! the 240 outlet melted ( socket ) i have fitted a new one ready to test.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Lyn.

inthesticks

Re: Need electricary help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:58:17 PM »
I'm not familiar with a Belle minigen 2000 or European power for that matter but if the grinder is still ok then you may have grounded out at the socket. In any case you didn't mention it but there must be a fuse or breaker somewhere in the circuit. It would need replacing or resetting. Not much help but its a start.

Cheers
CB

P.S. I feel you should use extreme care on ALL live electrical testing. These instructions were taken from a training textbook but if you feel they are not safe I will remove them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:11:25 AM by inthesticks »

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 03:04:51 AM »
Lyn,

Please be VERY careful if you follow those instructions above - you might get away with it on 110v but you could easily kill yourself with 240v   :zap:

Dave

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 03:57:07 AM »
Just replace the capacitor, only sure fire way of ruling out failure....
Just make sure the replacement is Mains rated as a minimum!
Self excited generators can produce voltages in excess of 240v if not regulated/governed properly....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:19:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies chaps, i will get a new cap//
So, how do they work then? as said no reg in it just the cap so how does it give a ( clean ) -ish 110 and 240v. It just has a switch, one way 110 the other way gives 240v..
Is there a way to check it out other than changing the Cap i mean, or even after changing it, the winding has four wires three colours and a black.
Lyn.

PS: the grinder is ok as it has been used on the mains 240v.

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 04:25:52 PM »
New cap arrived today so fitted and started the motor, i had the meter on the output leads ( 240 ) side switched on and it shot across to 310volts :bugeye: so i switched off.. So how do i test the winding's please? if that is what is next up..
Lyn.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 04:34:53 PM »
Lyn,
Sounds like the engine is running too fast....
But as a check, what is the 110v output?

So, assuming rhe engine runs at 3000rpm, that should equate to an ac output voltage with a frequency of 50 hz....if the voltage is too high then there's an issue with the rotor...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:00:31 PM »
Thanks John, i will check the 110v side tomorrow and report back....when i saw the voltage i just reached for the big red off switch :thumbup:
Lyn.