Author Topic: Better late than never  (Read 5962 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Better late than never
« on: September 11, 2016, 03:28:34 PM »

Went into the workshop today for a bit of a tidy up and get ready for next week.

First job on the bill is fifty 20mm diameter shafts, faced and chamfered to length with a M8 hole in both ends.

Now this job calls for a back stop in the spindle and a bed stop to get to the finished length of 176mm. That bits simple but if the bed stop is set for that length you can't get a chamfer on in the same operation.

So something I have been promising myself for at least 8 - 10 years is a turret stop.

So hunted around the offcut bin and found a thick lump of steel and a few holes and a brass bush later we got this.

The micrometer stop was there before and just located onto a button on the carriage. this button has now been replaced by a spring loaded ball detent.

Now allows me to face to length, then move nearer the chuck to chamfer off.

Only 8 or 10 years too late  :clap:
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Better late than never
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:31:38 PM »
It's one of those things you don't use often, but when needed is a godsend. I made one years ago for my Colchester Master - made two in fact and put the second on eBay and was very surprised how much it fetched. Even put spring loaded ball bearing detents to give it click stops  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »
My reply is also "better late than never".  Very good idea - thanks.

John.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
That looks very functional.

Where is the ball detent?

Micrometer limits a little extreme distance span, but probably will cover most of the needs ever. I have basket case capstan lathe that has a long rod to allow some serious versatility, but modern HSE probaly would have a fit.

Pekka