The Craftmans Shop > Model Engineering

Ryder-Ericsson help

(1/2) > >>

fcheslop:
Hi all, Im slowly remachining a set of castings for the 2inch bore Ericsson Stirling engine and have reached the stage of making the liner that is once I find a supplier for some tubing   :doh:
The question is The drawings I have show the diameter of the displacor as 1 3/4 dia and this just seems rather small to rattle around a 2inch bore and I seem to remember some mention of a mod at onetime
She is an ex Stilldrilling orphan :beer: that was pried from his fingers
thanks

smiffy:
When I built mine I made the displacer  piston and cylinder out of  car exhaust pipe, size is not too important but you need a reasonable clearance about 3 mm is fine . I filled the displacer piston with wire wool to help it work as a regenerator
For the power cylinder  I used a cast iron liner with the piston machined out of a brake caliper piston from a car.  Mike

modelman1938:
Hi
I have scratch built three Rider-Ericsson`s in different sizes working from the book S&S engines you can build, and I thought the displacer clearance was way to large. My engines range from 1-1/2 bore down to .60 bore  and have gone for .030 to .040 ins clearance, I  would think .050 ins would be about right for a 2 ins bore, just watch out for concentricity.
Hugh

fcheslop:
Thanks Mike and Hugh  the info is greatly appreciated
Just need to find some tubing then I can make a start
cheers

Stilldrillin:
Heyup Marra!
 I see you are still trying to blame me, for your misfortunes.......  :palm:

Just ordered several lengths of s/s tube for Boris. You should find what you need, here...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1311.R2.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X2%22+steel+tub.TRS0&_nkw=2+inch+steel+tube&_sacat=0

Good luck, ma duck!  :thumbup:

David.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version