Author Topic: Rockwell 6" Jointer Rebuild  (Read 15245 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Rockwell 6" Jointer Rebuild
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 04:34:33 AM »
It's looking like a new one Sparky - great job  :thumbup:

Attaching photos has the huge advantage that they are there as long as the forum survives, whereas if externally hosted the tendency is for the site to fail and you end up with a meaningless thread with no pictures. Classic recent example was Photobucket that was down for quite a long time.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 05:23:30 AM »
Great write up & pictures and what a brilliant finish  :thumbup: Makes me want to dig out the Hexacut saw that's been in a box for several years waiting for a rebuild  :(
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

RobWilson

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 05:30:08 AM »
Coming along very nicely Sparky  :thumbup:

Interesting grinding setup ,  :clap: :clap:

As to

I'm never sure which method people like better, embedding the pictures from another site or attaching them.  Attaching them is a LOT easier so that's what I'm doing tonight.

Way too much effort having to click on photos  :bang: ,I much prefer to just  see the photos in with the text  :coffee:

Rob

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
Great job on restoring that device.
I bought 2 4" Beaver jointers for $20 that look to be the same design style. Not as bad shape as yours though. One has the original classy legs as yours does.

Handy device, solidly built.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »
Great write up & pictures and what a brilliant finish  :thumbup: Makes me want to dig out the Hexacut saw that's been in a box for several years waiting for a rebuild  :(

Thanks, it's always good to know that people are following along - even when they're doing so silently.  Glad I could be an inspiration.  Get that saw out and start stripping it down!  Make sure to take lots of pictures along the way, label parts in bags, etc.  As much care as I took I still had a few times where I couldn't remember which way around something went while reassembling.  I had to take the bottom piece off the base and move it down a set of holes to get the motor/belt in the right place.  Annoying after you think you have something all reassembled only to have to take it back apart.

Attaching photos has the huge advantage that they are there as long as the forum survives, whereas if externally hosted the tendency is for the site to fail and you end up with a meaningless thread with no pictures. Classic recent example was Photobucket that was down for quite a long time.

One vote for attachments.  I agree with your logic, mostly.... I used to use PhotoBucket until there were problems.  Now I use Google Drive, but I have to go and manually mess around with the links so they're properly embedded.  Google having that kind of issue is sort of unthinkable, though I'm not naive enough to think it's impossible either.

Way too much effort having to click on photos  :bang: ,I much prefer to just  see the photos in with the text  :coffee:

One vote for embedded...  :doh:

Interesting grinding setup ,  :clap: :clap:

Thanks, but now you have me wondering how else it could have been done.  This seemed pretty straight forward to me, given the equipment at my disposal.

Great job on restoring that device.
I bought 2 4" Beaver jointers for $20 that look to be the same design style. Not as bad shape as yours though. One has the original classy legs as yours does.

Handy device, solidly built.

Funny how everyone like the legs on these.  I'm actually not a big fan.  I'd prefer the cast iron base, frankly.  Maybe if I saw one in person I might change my mind, but they just look so much more classic and sturdy.

You couldn't be more right about how solid they are.  The main unit is rigid as rigid can be.  I love the way the fence works, though admittedly I haven't played with many jointer fences.  It moves easily and locks positively into place - Exactly what a fence should do, and precisely what many don't!

Offline Biggles

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »
Good job sparky :nrocks: