Author Topic: L00 Lathe backplate ??  (Read 10004 times)

Offline Jo

L00 Lathe backplate ??
« on: November 02, 2016, 10:51:50 AM »
Having paid an arm and a leg for a Crawford Truegrip chuck on an L0 back plate I found it was not L0 but smaller  :( I assume the L00, unless there are any other similar nose fittings out there. Can someone confirm which lathe takes an L00 back plate.

I also seem to have a 5C adapter which is an odd sized taper. It looks like a morse taper but is neither an MT5 or 4 it lies somewhere in between (MT 5 adapter long side in the photo).  I think there might be a draw bar kicking around for that but it was too short to go through the headstock on my Master  :scratch: I assume that it goes on the same lathe.

So before I stick them on John S's site what are they worth.... That L0 backplate I needed was not cheap  :bang:.

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline seadog

• NE London
Re: L00 Lathe backplate ??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:15:57 AM »
The Boxford VSL is one.

It shouldn't be too difficult to sell on.

Offline Ed ke6bnl

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
I have a 11 in. Rockwell lathe with Loo and the spindle I have been told is a 4.5 MT spindle the nose piece protects the spindle and also is used to take out the adaptor from the spindle. I have an extra adaptor and nose piece  that I plan to put on ebay soon.
1950 Ford F1 streetrod
1968 ecotec powered Baja Bug kink coil overs
1953 Chevy AD ready for 4 cyl. cummins and nv4500

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
Jo, some Harrison L5 and L5a's were fitted with L00 spindle nose. Also the L6 was commonly supplied withL00. Shouldn't be too difficult finding a buyer for that.
.....OZ.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/harrison/page5.html
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Jo

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 01:16:09 PM »
Thanks Guys, it seems it is not as rare as I first thought. Now I just have to find a new home for them  :thumbup:

Jo

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
I missed the bit about the 5c adaptor the first time I read this. The outside taper on the adaptor looks very very much like it will also fit a Harrison L5/L6 inner spindle taper. As someone has said earlier they are Morse 4.5,so again easily moved on......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline benwithjaminthemiddle

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
Hey,
I have a Harrison 140, that's also the same taper. I think the 140,L5,L6 and 150 and indeed the 160 where the same taper. Sling em on ebay they will fly.

Offline assink

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 04:32:05 AM »
Hello,

I have serious interest in such one, i've been looking for it some time now.
My belgian lathe Mondiale Celtic 12 has an L00 taper also.
If you willing to ship to the Netherlands, please let me know.

Offline Jo

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »
 :coffee: Sorry work has got in the way. I was meaning to advertise them on http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ The backplate stands me in £50, but I am not adverse to making a profit  :thumbup:. I have been told that the 5C adapter may help greatly towards funding the missing 9267 collets (2" and 1 7/8").

Any shipping overseas will be at purchasers cost/risk: ideally they can send a courier to pick it up. I will just need to find a very strong box to pack it in :scratch:

Jo

Offline Jo

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 02:48:39 PM »
Latest on the 9267 collets: One must remember to clean tools before you go suggesting to anyone that you have duplicates that you may be willing to swop. So having removed the natural oil build up I have found that what I thought was 6 duplicates are actually more 10 thou oversized collets  :thumbup:.

And to top it off that nice postman dropped me off a 2" collet today which just leaves the 1 7/8" to make up the 1/8th set  :ddb:

Jo

P.S. For those of you who are not aware of these delicate little collets here is a pic of one with a 5C for comparison. And the same 5C with the remainder of them hiding in their drawer :coffee:
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:30:31 PM by Jo »

Offline stvy

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
Jo,

What machine or tool are the 9267 collets for? Do the go undef any other name? Or maker than cc?

Steve

Offline Jo

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 02:14:52 AM »
Hi Steve,

I am not aware of what other chucks/mountings Crawford did for these collets. The 7" diameter chuck is a bit big for a Myford .... Mine has been fitted to Big C (Colchester Master). I know of another fitted on an M300.

Sorry I don't know of any other maker's. These collets are a bit bigger than your common garden 5C/DA/ER collets that turn up everywhere like weeds.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »
They don't look unlike 25C ones Jo, think Hardinge make those upto 65mm capacity, maybe you should add some to your most wanted list :thumbup:

Offline stvy

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 12:10:52 PM »
The do look like c collets. And at that size 20c or 25c looks about right.However I can't quite tell from the picture is the draw tube thread fine or course? 60deg? CC have been known to make variations of c collets.

Hopefully in the future a larger lathe is in the plans something with at least 2" in the spindle bore. The problem with lathes like that are that the chucks are very heavy.25c Collets seem ideal. What is the manufacturer of the chuck and does it have any details on it so I can research it.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline mfletch

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 04:15:07 AM »
So just to be sue is it a L0 or a L00 back plate your selling

Offline Jo

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 04:35:32 AM »
Its the little one: the L00 along with that 5C adapter but as usual I have not yet remembered to advertise it  :wack:

Jo

Offline Jo

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 02:41:55 AM »
Both the back plate and the adapter have gone off to new homes  :thumbup:

Jo