Author Topic: Edgwick lathe cross-slide nut replacement  (Read 9835 times)

Offline chrisnaborg

Edgwick lathe cross-slide nut replacement
« on: November 11, 2016, 08:54:02 AM »
Hi all I am new to this blog but it looks really informative and helpful. I am currently restoring an Albert Herbert gap-bed lathe built by Edgwick 6.5inch mk1.
I am finding difficulty to remove the brass cross-slide nut , has anyone worked on an Edwick lathe and maybe can help? When I am trying to pull out the stud from the front side it is hitting the intermediate gear of the automatic feed. If possible I am trying not to remove the top part of the saddle in order not to loose the setting..
I am really stuck please can anyone help? I have attached a picture of the lathe and two of the cross-slide nut from a top view and front view.

Thanks

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Edgwick lathe cross-slide nut replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum - good to see you here  :thumbup:

Matthew Tinker in France has an Edgewick - and I've a feeling Ade Vickers in Wallasey  also has one - perhaps they'll be along in a moment .....
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
Hi chrisnaborg,

As Andrew correctly states, I have one of those lathes. Very nice it is too :D

Unfortunately... that's as far as I got with my topslide strip down as well... I couldn't see any easy way to get it out. I have since acquired a manual for this lathe, so I'll have a quick squint at that over the weekend, to see if it offers any clues.

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline chrisnaborg

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:13:08 PM »
Hey thanks all.. i will try to figure something out this weekend as well

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »
Chris,

It's been a year since I took the cross slide lead screw out to repair the where the end had been sheared off! It comes out from the front, you have to take the handle and the graduated dial off to get at the screws that hold the  lead screw in place. Note, there is a friction mechanism for the dial that uses a screw in the lead screw its self, this is visible in my thread http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10758.25.html in the middle of the second page. If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help if I can!

Regards, Matthew

Offline chrisnaborg

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
Hi Matthew

I got the dial off the lead screw, why exactly do I need to remove the dial friction mechanism?

The problem that I am facing is that when trying to pull out the shaft from the front, the splined gear (used for the taper attachment) in the cross slide lead screw is hitting the intermediate gear that enables the power feed for the cross slide..

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 02:03:11 PM »
You don't need to remove the dial friction mechanism, just don't loose it! My lathe is back together, I don't have the taper attachment so I can't help you with that. Post some photos, I can't see how the taper attachment would interfere, normally, the cross slide is disconnected from it's drive so that the cross slide is free to follow the taper attachment. I have a vague memory of turning the cross slide drive to get the lead screw out.

Regards, Matthew

Offline chrisnaborg

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 02:22:52 PM »
I will take some photos tomorrow and post them

Thank you

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »
Hi Chris,

I dug the Edgwick manual out this afternoon, I've scanned a few pages which might be of interest - there's line drawings of the saddle, and the taper attachment, and a parts list for each. The main manual is just an operator's guide though, not a service manual, so it doesn't describe taking it apart (or putting it back together afterwards)...

Maybe now there's at least 4 of us with these old Edgwicks (there's a guy in Perth, Australia who has one, although he's not been here for over a year now), it'd be worth knocking together a Haynes-style manual? I'd be willing to have a go.... except I'm only good at taking stuff apart, always been rubbish at putting it back together again!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 03:02:08 PM »
Adev,

I'd be interested in scans of your operators guide of you could make them! It could be a good start to your Haynes manual idea!

Regards, Matthew

Offline CraigLie

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
Hi AdeV,

You can add one more Edgwick owner in the US.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
So, now we are five! Welcome!!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline CraigLie

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »
Thank you, Matthew

chrisnaborg, I believe I encountered the same problem or similar problem.  I ended up stripping everything down cleaning it all up and reassembling.  Once I realized that the feed gearbox had some bad bearings. I ended up replacing all the bearings in the gearbox.  At that time I removed the apron clean examined and noted all that needs to be repaired or replaced, saving that job for a later project. then I removed/ disassembled the tool posts compound and cross slide thoroughly cleaned and reassemble them backed the way came apart.