Author Topic: Scrap prices - aluminium  (Read 2549 times)

Offline jcs0001

Scrap prices - aluminium
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:35:35 PM »
I needed some 3 in. x 3 in. steel bar stock - or similar sized aluminium block if the steel wasn't available.  Went to our local scrap yard and found a 7 lb. block of aluminium that will suffice.  A few things I noticed:

- the yard has a big inventory of steel - I believe they play the market some by selling when things are high and stockpiling when they are low.
- aluminium prices are quite a bit lower than a couple of years ago - I paid $1.50 Can. per lb. whereas the price was about $2.25 to $2.50 not that long ago.
- the attitude of the owners and clerk have not improved (They do not need a junk yard dog) :)

They do put decent offcuts of aluminium aside (it was moved so I had to look to find it) so it is certainly worth checking if shorter rounds or rectangular pieces are required.

I'm in Western Canada in case the price is reflective of location.

John.

Offline chipenter

Re: Scrap prices - aluminium
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:40:53 AM »
My freindly scrap man has stoped buying steel it costs more to move it than he gets for it , the steel works in Kent went bust and the rest of the country is on the edge , most of the steel comes from China .
Jeff

Offline howsitwork?

Re: Scrap prices - aluminium
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »
My local scrap yard get aluminium offcuts from I know not where but one bit was 18" by 12" by 10", I kid you not. I almost invested then thought- how the hell will I cut the chunks I want off this??? :jaw:

So bought some  2" thick instead, plus some 1/2" and 1" for the "come in handy sometime pile". He didn't have much rod in at the time so might go back this weekend.

He's great for steel but sometimes the bargain bits are a bit harder than you think.  Gone through a couple of 4" dia slitting saws to find that out. Then left a bit at red heat in a mates coal fire overnight. That helped considerably. Unfortunately that was after the event... :(

Mind you got some practice on the tool and cutter grinder. Result was 1 Japanese throwing star type disc ( no use for anything else) but after that and a few hours practice 2 sharp(ish) cutters again. Some days you're the statue and other days you're the pigeon, that was definitely a statue day! :wack:

Think it's supply and demand re pricing but steel does seem very "reasonable" currently.

Ian