Author Topic: Elmers Simplified Beam Engine  (Read 4585 times)

Offline SwarfnStuff

Elmers Simplified Beam Engine
« on: November 04, 2017, 02:36:33 AM »
Hi all,
    Like a few others on this forum I did not create a build log for two reasons. (1) I get too involved in the process of building and fixing my blunders, (2) My phone has a very ordinary (pathetic) camera. Oh, and (3)  I'm lazy.

The blunders occurred whilst doubling the size and converting to metric on the fly plus inattention or getting carried away with making swarf.
   For some reason I managed to get a step in the cylinder bore that I just could not remove completely so spent seemingly ages working around it. Ended up creating an "O" ring from bathroom silicone sealant as the regular variety of ring was too firm and if adjusted for the smaller dia of the step was too loose at the top end.
   The short story of making the "O" ring is simply smearing the top end of the cylinder bore with oil. plonking the silicone on the piston to more than fill the groove. Then pushing the piston into the cylinder bore and going inside for dinner. In the morning I simply removed piston and trimmed the daggy bits with a sharp blade. Reassemble and test run, joy oh joy it worked 4 PSI = Job Done.
  If that had not worked I was going to remake the cylinder. Who's a happy chappy then?

Anyway here is a very short video of the final effort running on about 5 PSI.

Oh, and I shall try and add the test run video too.

Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Elmers Simplified Beam Engine
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 02:44:35 AM »
Now here is what you don't see in the videos. The platform the engine is siting on is a laminate basin cutout that becomes my layout table and an auxiliary bench by clamping a lug on the underside in the vise.
  An idea from Harold Hall's Workshop series No 39 from memory.
   Why? Well the photo should explain it, see the poor photo definition from my phone?

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:25 AM »
A few hours later the bench looked a tad better. How long for is quite another question. Probably until I start another project. AFTER, cleaning the rest of my small shed (3.5 metre by 1.6  metre)
As in the other two photos.
John B

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 02:17:15 AM »
Just a comment on my use of bathroom silicon to form an "O" ring. I do realise that this will not last long under steam or prolonged running. I have no intention of running on steam and typically these small models run for 10 or so minutes at a time.
   Hmm, club expo might just test the longevity of the silicon as the expo is of two days duration.
   Oh Well, I shall find out.  :coffee:
John B

Offline PK

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:26:40 AM »
The stuff to use is roof and gutter sealant. AKA 'neutral cure' silicone. Anything that has that acrid vinegar smell contains acid witch will etch metal over time.
PK

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »
Fair enough PK,
 I used what I had to hand.
     From my limited experience the acetic acid dissipates during curing time.
I will pop the top off in a few weeks and have a look-see if there is need for a rethink.
    I ran out of metal to keep boring the cylinder, the ideal fix but would have run into the steam chest bore with another few passes. Live and learn to be more in careful with the process I guess.

Regards,

John B

Offline PK

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 03:44:20 AM »
From my limited experience the acetic acid dissipates during curing time.
I can imagine that that could well be correct for this application.
We use the neutral cure variant for electronics as acid cure silicone does nasty things to components....

PK

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »
Oh yeah PK,
      Acid cure and electricity could give some exciting demonstrations of electrolyte / current reactions.   :zap:
John B