Author Topic: Best way to polish mildly pitted carbon steel?  (Read 8525 times)

Offline RichardDepetris

Best way to polish mildly pitted carbon steel?
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:34:39 AM »
I just finished derusting some plane irons. Many have a dull dark gray appearance and some mild pitting.  I have quite of bit of them to do.  On other parts, I would sand them down and then move up the grit to 400-500.  This method, however, removes the pits and the engravings.

I would like to keep the engravings and I don't mind the pitting.  I want to bring the surface to a reasonable shine quickly.  I tried polishing compounds and buffing wheels, but they seem to only turn the dull gray into shiny gray. I tried emery compound and a sisal wheel, but it didn't do much better and the sisal kept tattering up on the edges.

I added some photos of some plane irons FYI.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chipenter

Re: Best way to polish mildly pitted carbon steel?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »
Whire brush on a bench grinder is my first choise or a twsted cup brush on an angle grinder , will put a polish on cast iron and steel the quickest .
Jeff

Offline Biggles

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
The oxidation seems a little deep to remove with a light abrasive. Even if you use electrolysis it will remove the rust but could leave some pit marks. I think the best you can do is use a soft metal wire wheel then go up in grades with buffing wax. You could just go around the engraving! :coffee:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 06:45:24 PM »
You could etch them a little deeper couldn't you?
A bit of paint on the top and use salt water on the logos?

Offline hanermo

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 11:21:23 AM »
Electric rust removal ?

Electric plating, like nickel ?

Offline hermetic

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 03:25:43 PM »
 try a brass or bronze wire wheel on a bench or angle grinder, you will probably get through a few, but it will polish without marking, if you use steel wire wheels, they do tend to mark the surface up .
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?