Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

New Tractor Shed

(1/74) > >>

awemawson:
On Tuesday afternoon (22/11/2016)  I received an eMail from the local Planning Department giving the go ahead for my new Tractor Shed.

I had deposited a '28 day Notice' with them which if you farm agricultural land over 5 hectares effectively gives them an opportunity to raise objections, but if there are none you can go ahead. However the way the system actually works is that they send out their consultant, who makes you jump through a few hoops and then he decides if he feels the building is 'reasonably needed for agriculture'

When they've done all this then they decide if the scheme falls in the criteria for permitted development or if you need to put in for full planning permission. Obviously the former is much easier as they only demand a 'site plan' roughly locating the building, rather than full detailed drawings as needed for planning permission.

One criteria is the the building development total area is less than 465 sq metres which this easily is, but one locally was turned down  as the hard standing and access track together with the building totalled more than that.

awemawson:
So what is the building to be :scratch:

45 foot long, 40 foot wide, 12 foot eaves and a 15 degree pitched roof. 15 foot wide by almost 15 foot high electrically operated roller shutter with a pedestrian door beside it.

Walls will be dark green zintec profiled sheeting with the roof in fibre re-inforced 'big 6' corrugated sheets with fibreglass roof lights. The bottom 500 mm of the walls will be pre-stressed concrete panels to keep the sheets out of the ground and give something to form a 150 mm concrete floor up to.

Currently the site has a huge water tank and a few shrubby trees on it that will have to go, and as you can see from the pictures, there is a bit of ground to be made up to form a base to lay a slab on

In anticipation of getting the go ahead I've been in discussions with a local contractor who has modified buildings for me before. Nowadays steel frame buildings have to be 'CE Certified' or you can't insure them, so this effectively rules out what he was previously doing ie building them from scratch from I beams etc. Now he orders a complete building, pre-made that is delivered as a kit to site, and he does the ground works and erects it. Good old EU squashing the little man :(

He may be able to put a few days in before Christmas to start breaking up the tank and it's base, meanwhile I need to cut down that hawthorn bush that is really a small tree  :zap:

The sooner we can get some fill in to make up the levels the better, so it can be settling for a few months before work starts in earnest in the spring.

..... bankruptcy here we come  :bugeye:

mattinker:
Andrew,

"Nowadays steel frame buildings have to be 'CE Certified' or you can't insure them," That's insurance, not EU! Here in France, you can still do what you like!

All the best, Matthew

awemawson:
No Matthew - it's an EU harmonisation thing

http://www.steelconstruction.info/CE_marking

And the Insurers always insist on things 'conforming' If this isn't happening in France then they obviously are ignoring the rules - surely not :scratch:

mattinker:
Andrew,

I stand corrected, although, I am still free to do what I like in my own place in terms of construction and Electrical installations. You have a lot of regs that are much harsher in the UK than her in France.

All the best, Matthew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version