Author Topic: Warco Wm16 power feed.  (Read 3996 times)

Offline super7

Warco Wm16 power feed.
« on: May 07, 2017, 09:27:35 AM »
Hello all, first post here.

It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's worked out quite well. 

This is the bones of it, a 240 rpm gear motor fixed to a plate. From the plate are delrin bushings, these slide along 2 x 10mm stainless rods fixed to the mill. The 10mm rods replace the two machine screws that hold the yellow end plate on to the mill bed.
To connect the motor to the mill I had to replace the original handwheel with a hex drive key ( I had to make this ), and mount a 22mm deep socket to the drive motor spindle. This is shown disengaged.

And slid along to engage below. As it happens this gear motor is bevel cut, so I can just still crank it for final position even when engaged.

Picture of the modified spindle of the output side of the motor - 1/2" brass square to suit the 1/2" drive 22mm socket.

Guts of the drive now mounted to the top cover plate, and 24v DC speed control mounted and connected.

View from underside, the toggle switch on the left controls the bed direction left/off/right, and the dial is for speed control.

The whole assembly had a tendency to flex when under load, I think the motor torque was flexing the 2 stainless rods slightly. It was only a touch, but I added another set of guide holes up front made from a tufnol plate. It's sorted it, its rock solid.

Finally, a quick vid of it working. Next job is to motorise the vertical coloumn.

https://youtu.be/uwmeWwDhECA

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Warco Wm16 power feed.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:01:01 AM »
Hi Mike welcome to the forum  :thumbup:

A very nice bit of effective modding there and nicely shown, thank you
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
I like it! :thumbup: :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mechman48

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 05:11:09 AM »
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
I really like your hex coupling.

Pekka