Author Topic: Tool and Cutter grinder  (Read 8568 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Tool and Cutter grinder
« on: December 30, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
The work's Byjet 3015 water-jet has been busy cutting half metre diameter rings for an oil support company and I , being always aware of such things, have been keeping my eye on the ever growing pile of too-good-to-scrap but to-small-to use of HE30 discs.

So, having watched Dan Gelbart's excellent you tube videos , I been scribbling a T&C design using as much of the IKEA flat pack technology as i can.

Lots of work still to do of course but, I thought you'd be interested (particularly if there was a kit perhaps) :)

Bill

Offline John Rudd

Re: Tool and Cutter grinder
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 03:44:55 PM »
Looks good so far Bill..... :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the finished machine in action.... :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »
I for one will be glued to the build, I am in dire need of one myself.... good luck Bill
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:23:55 AM »
That looks very good and functional design.

Those linear stages looks intriguing. How does it holds dow? With T's? Lock?

You are using linear stage to grind instead of swing over the round bar like on quorn.

Pekka
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:15:41 AM by PekkaNF »

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:19:01 AM »
The design is is based on the Deckel S0 single lip t&c. The grinding is mostly done by swinging the head around the bar at the bottom, this moves the tool face on a circular plane flat across the edge of the wheel.

To grind radii the bar can be fixed and the tool swivelled around the top most joint . The little cross slides are for adjusting the radius and offset from centre.

The cross slide design will have to be prototyped , i was trying to minimise precision parts, making the water jet do as much work as possible

The Byjet is an impressive machine (positional accuracy is 0.025mm i believe) and will cut to better than 0.25mm (the previous operator, RW "the fifth beach boy", cut me a stainless steel part with a 5mm curved guideway slot that was better than 100um with an almost ground surface finish on the edges), it will cut up to 100mm steel yet it can engrave a 1.2mm thick aluminium plate.

Bill

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:31:21 AM »
It's funny you should mention that machine Bill. I've just watched a video and they're doing some pretty impressive work with one, cutting precision fan profiles.

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:34:42 AM »
Bill,

Looking nice.

Just a few points worth considering.

The Quorn has a micrometer feed screw on the bottom rail which is used to put a fine cut on.

One desirable feature is to be able to withdraw the tool being sharpened for close inspection and then being able to put it back without losing position.

Is the rotation of the bottom bar stopped by the clamp between the two main plates? The Quorn uses another round bar to stop against and there is a screw to adjust the stop position.

Grinding wheels on the Quorn are mounted on arbors similar to an 8mm watchmakers collet. They are very easy to swap.

I assume you'll have screw adjustment for the various adjustments on the workhead.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline philf

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 07:41:57 AM »
It's funny you should mention that machine Bill. I've just watched a video and they're doing some pretty impressive work with one, cutting precision fan profiles.

Very impressive machine!  :drool:

I don't think it would fit in my cellar workshop!

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:59:22 AM »

Had a good laugh at that guy standing in front of the thing in his pristine white shirt. The thing throws s### everywhere!  The ceiling, 3m above the tank, is just splated with crusty water marks , it's surrounded by a 2m light curtain but no one's going to get that close without a sowester!.

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
I'm looking forward to the work head design. I need to add one to my 1920's Cincinnati Universal Grinder to add radius grinding.

Gerrit

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »
Jason, byjet master, is cutting me some parts for a work project (benchtop coil winder)  so I've included some spare T&C parts to experiment with. Hopefully, I'll have them tomorrow (the wj is busy with more discs) .
I was asked to the darker side if the empire today , to plan the move of a CMM  (lost its job to a new robot) and to decommission a laser welder, the latter machine , i must have walked past a thousand times without realising what it was , ive not seen it in use,  although it does apparently function.  And if that wasn't surprise enough , it seems there's a much unused scanning electron microscope in room where cmm is supposed to go.

Why the empire has collected all these toys, i don't know, but you could have a lot of fun playing 'em.
Bill

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »
Pah!  Jason is still cutting rings so I still haven't parts to try yet, he has an 'order to fill' so i can't disturb him too much.

However, I had  to interrupt him long enough today to make some urgent repair parts for the Agie wire eroder. The motor couplings had softened with age and were creating too much backlash  (10um) .

You might be interested in how the WJ cuts something rubbery (this is a neoprene I believe) . The '0' is so I could differentiate it from the ones that i cut 100um bigger (I wanted a snug fit)

The coupling is about 30mm diameter and was cut at 400mm/min - 3600bar 
Bill