Author Topic: Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)  (Read 4370 times)

Offline thecogwheel

Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:02:26 AM »
I made a tool post lock and handle for my lathe and I made a video of it:

https://youtu.be/70Jo1Avs-Sk

If you are interested, the drawings for the project are on my blog: https://thecogwheel.net/2017/01/04/tool-post-lock-nut-and-handle/ Going forward I'm hoping to post all the drawings for the projects I do. I will also be sharing the CAD once I get that setup in Fusion.  This project was pretty simple, and didn't really need a drawing, but I want to make them available. 

I also spent some time talking about the taps I use in the shop. I primarily purchase spiral flute bottoming taps for most of the work I do. If you aren't using spiral flute taps in the shop, I suggest you give them a go next time you purchase a tap. They are a bit more limited in the thread pitch and form available (odd ball thread pitches are usually not easy to find), but for standard metric and imperial fine and coarse thread pitches they are easy to get. I still am fascinated to watch the chip spiral out of the hole with the tap in blind holes.  I use them for through holes as well as it helps keep the tooling costs down.  Spiral point taps are my preferred choice for through holes, but you have to buy another tap. 

Offline Buell

Re: Tool Post Lock Nut (with video)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
Enjoyed that thanks for posting. :beer: Need to learn a Cad program as that would help me visualise things a lot clearer...before i mess them up in the shop ! Nice work though.
If you don't succeed ...try try try again...you can't fail trying.

Offline thecogwheel

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »
I was a fun quick project.

If you are looking to get into CAD, I can't recommend Fusion enough.  I use Solidworks a lot, but I'm actually preferring Fusion for the stuff I do in my shop. 

Offline Buell

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »
Will take a look at that. My only problem...like so many is Time ! learning a piece of software is so time consuming and along with so many other things i guess it takes a back of the queue approach for me. I know deep down its a much better and well organised approach. Whats the white grease compound you apply on the steel before cutting ? Im guessing Tallow of some kind ? And does it help give a better surface ? As I've been doing mine at slowish speed dry with ok results.

Offline thecogwheel

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:49:05 PM »
I know what you mean about time.  I do a lot of CAD as part of the field of work I'm in (engineering) so it's easy for me but there is a learning curve and if you have limited time you have to decide whether to make chips or not.

The white grease is bacon fat.  I use it a fair bit in the home shop.  I like it because it is non toxic, and I find it actually smokes less than Rocol RTD or other similar cutting fluids.  It's not for everything, but works well.  Some people don't like that it has so much salt in it, but that helps it from going rancid (which can be a problem).  I make sure I clean the parts when I'm done anyway so I've never had any problems with rust.

I find it helps with surface finish.  For finish turning I usually set the speed low, set the tool to 'rub' a bit and, take a really small depth of cut, and use a fine feed.  Not my idea - it's from LH Sparey's book and it has worked well for me. 

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:55:48 AM »
Good design and write up.

One comment regarding Fusion360, For me it is not suitable as it only runs on 64bit machines so until I upgrade my PC and or laptop it's a no go. Of course by then it will probably need 128bit or summat.   Ah well, back to the chalk and slate.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Buell

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »
Bacon fat ! thats great...Im not even gonna go down that Vegan route so don't worry !!! But begs the question Just how many bacon Rolls can you it to get enough for the shop !! I learn something every day Thanks