Author Topic: New DRO mounting  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
New DRO mounting
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:52 PM »
As the three axis readout and 1 micron scales did not materialise with my new mill, an evolution was required.
The original setup also had the control buttons and DRO housed within the same box, again quite different to the advertised pictures. This caused some consternation as the buttons always seemed to be in the wrong place to read the DRO and vice versa. Having varifocal specs does not help either.
I now have the new DRO on it's own mounting arm. The new box for the buttons is another WIP as are the scales for the new DRO.

1. Original setup
2. Original head unit
3. New DRO head
4. New DRO arm

Pete

Offline krv3000

Re: New DRO mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
nice

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »
 :clap: :clap: Very cool DRO mount Pete, nicely done.    :thumbup:

I fancy one of those ES12 DRO for my Bridgeport, how do you find the LCD screen?

Rob.

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 06:12:34 PM »
Thanks Kev/Rob
Rob. It's a bit early to say, as it's so cold out there to actually do much... (being a bit of a wimp.) First impressions are that it is very good, clear, with a quick response to movement.
It's another of my jobs-in-progress.  I still have to mount the proper 0.001 scales for it (works fine with the existing 0.005 ones)and also a new pair of Z readers, and finish off the new button box.
As I've now got a 21.50 drill, I could go back to the lathe job... :scratch:
Pete

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:37:15 AM »
Hi Pete,

I may wait and have a look at the DRO at a show,  what's it like when viewed from left or right of center, is it still clear?

Cheers Rob, (waiting for his shop to warm up  :coffee: )

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
......  what's it like when viewed from left or right of center, is it still clear?
It looks good to me with my varifocals, so it should be fine with good eyes, or normal specs. I'll take a pic or two from an angle if that would help.
The major thing wrong with the old set-up (for me) was that the position of the DRO always seemed to be out of kilter with looking at the tool at the same time.
Pete