Author Topic: Exeter Devon. New Model Engineering etc club formed  (Read 6877 times)

Offline Bee

Exeter Devon. New Model Engineering etc club formed
« on: June 26, 2016, 07:05:32 PM »
A new Model Engineering and other stuff club has been formed in Exeter, Devon, UK.
Called Exeter Society of Model and Experimental Engineers ESMEE it initially will be meeting once a month on the Second Friday of the month at Sidwell Street Community Centre in Exeter from 7pm to 9pm. Street parking is free by that time.
It is hoped to be wider ranging than just locomotives and cover all aspects of making and doing perhaps getting a clubhouse and workshop in due course. They are already fundraising with a portable track (I know back on locos but do you know a better way for a club to get financed)
Membership is £15 and there will probably have to be a meeting fee to cover the room. Tea and biccies available. I think you can go along without being hog tied into membership and just see what's up.
I'm not part of their founding / organisers just raising a bit of publicity as they aren't very forum savvy. Therefore I don't all the details but will try to answer questions on here or by PM.

Offline Bee

Re: Exeter Devon. New Model Engineering etc club formed
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 04:19:28 PM »
More progress. The regular meetings will now be on the 3rd Friday of the month at the new location of St Katherine's Priory in Exeter. This is quite a central location and also a community centre with café and a model railway club on the premises.

What's more the slightly adjusted name Exeter & District Model Engineering Society have agreement to put a ground level track on this site, possibly up to 260m (that's about 800ft in Brexitese). There is parking there too which always helps and at only about a mile from the city centre the possibility of dropping your partner off in town while you are clubbing, either for shopping on a running day or theatre/cinema in the evening.
If you are in the area and thinking of joining don't worry that you will get roped into lots of digging of cuttings for the new track - the site is level and digging is not allowed anyway on an historic site.

Forward a couple of months and it is hoped to run the portable track there on Boxing day if you want to do something with the kids or meet the members.

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Exeter Devon. New Model Engineering etc club formed
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
I wish the Club very well. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Just a little to far for me Torbay. :drool:

I might call in on summer nights but forget it in winter that Haldon hill is between us. :doh:

Trev