Author Topic: UK Scraping class December 2017  (Read 8715 times)

Offline Pete.

UK Scraping class December 2017
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
We are organising a UK scraping class in December. Richard King is holding two classes in Germany immediately beforehand and will take this third class before returning home. The date is yet to be fixed but it will begin in the week starting on the 11th of December 2017.

The class will be hosted at the workshops of Andrew Mawson in Sedlescombe which is just outside Hastings, East Sussex. We'll have nice facilities and good parking/access plus there's plenty of local accommodation.

The course will either be 3 day or 5 day depending on up-take. The 3-day course teaches hand scraping, machine scraping (Biax), and flaking in both disciplines. The following 2 days focus on machine alignment and how to apply the scraping techniques in the rebuilding process.This is the first class of it's type to be held in the UK and is invaluable for anyone who is looking to learn scraping, rebuilding or wants to understand really how to evaluate or maintain a machine tool. Richard King has taught these classes all over the world for many years and this might be a unique opportunity to take the course in the UK so don't miss out!!

We need 10 students to make the course work. I will be helping with the organising so if you are interested feel free to post right here in the thread and please email me directly at petesworkshop@virginmedia.com, I will contact you by email with the basic course details and a typical schedule and add you to the mailing list of attendees to keep you up to date with progress. More detailed information about the course will also the follow from myself or Richard by email.

I've started a similar thread on Practical Machinist which has a dedicated forum for machine reconditioning, scraping and inspection.

Pete.

Offline mattinker

Re: UK Scraping class December 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »
Splendid idea, when and how much!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 04:17:47 PM »
Very interested  :thumbup: More details would be great
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »
It'll be in the week starting on the 11th of December, shoot me an email directly on the link below guys and I'll reply with course details ASAP. Just finalising some stuff then it'll be going out.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
If you were doing this in the US, I would be there...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
Come on over Eric - give the wife a winter shopping trip in the UK while you get a stiff shoulder scraping  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
It'll be in the week starting on the 11th of December, shoot me an email directly on the link below guys and I'll reply with course details ASAP. Just finalising some stuff then it'll be going out.

What email address?

Regards, Matthew

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 04:52:33 PM »

:scratch: :scratch: What link  :hammer:

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
The one in the initial post.  :wave:
Pete (another one)

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »
The one in the initial post.  :wave:
Pete (another one)

But that's above  :scratch: not below  :lol: :lol:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
I was typing inverted :D

I will be at the class myself. I have already attended it once in Norway so I know what it's all about. I also know just how much effort goes into organising it. I will be bringing stuff with me for everyone to use, which at the very least will be:

24x18" granite plate
2x high quality cast iron plates.
3x cast iron straight edges - 24" 36" and 48"
Carbide scraper sharpening station and spare discs.
Biax power scraper
Spare scrapers (If I can find more tips)
Swan-necked scrapers for dovetails
Some surface gauges, dti's dial indicators and other bits necessary to the course.

I might also have a Biax flaker by then, still working on that. In the class you'll be learning to hand-scrape on test-pieces but you'll also be bringing along a 'project part' such as a surface plate, straight edge, compound slide - anything you want to work on yourself. It's going to be interesting, hard work, tiring and fun and you'll come out of it with the knowledge and ability to scrape to 40 points by hand and a great understanding of how to evaluate and maintain your machinery ways as well and understand the basics of the alignment process.

Pete.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »
Come on over Eric - give the wife a winter shopping trip in the UK while you get a stiff shoulder scraping  :lol:

We are trying to plan a trip this year. I don't think it will be in December tho..
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:18 AM »
My wife and daughter likes to travel, but our travel budget for this year is almost gone and when I said "December" and "England" she did not show much enthusiasm.

But I'm very tempted myself. Just afraid that all up cost will be hefty and another thing is that Ryanair probably would not allow me to have bunch of scrapers, DTI's magnetic bases and other stuff...having met jolly humorous security personnel at LHR probly I guess I would end up staring bomdog hovering around my backback :lol:

Pekka

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 09:19:12 AM »
This definitely sounds like something I'd be interested in... not sure if it'll be possible yet, but do please add me to the list of prospective students.

Any chance of a rough price based on 3 or 5 days? Just so I can throw it into the budget...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Peter Cordell

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 03:52:32 PM »

Definately a good idea.  So much so you have forced me to do some typing instead of reading.
I have done an introductory, I think this is an opportunity that may not come around again so would
be keen to take up a place.

I very much look forward to hearing more.

Ben

Offline Pete.

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:16:54 PM »
Hi Ben and welcome.

There's been a healthy interest in the course and I am just about to send out the necessary details. If you could email me directly at petesworkshop@virginmedia.com it will get you on the list. I've set an email rule so that all emails to that account go into the same folder so no-one gets missed out.

Pete.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »
Places are running out fast for this class. I didn't expect to get such an enthusiastic response! Looks like we're going to be full pretty soon and making a waiting list.

Pete.

Offline b4dyc

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 04:42:39 AM »
Hi Pete, sent email as requested  :beer:
I didn`t do it...

Offline mc

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
Email sent.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »
We have a full compliment of students registered for the class and will be taking deposits soon. Anyone who would like to take the class should still email me on the address above, they will go on a stand-by list in case someone drops out. Also there might be another class in 2018, if enough people show an interest. Please feel free to email about that too.

Pete.