Author Topic: The basics  (Read 39293 times)

Offline PK

Re: The basics
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2016, 06:15:36 AM »
so some flexability is required.
To reiterate. It isn't. There may be better ways, and they are all more work....

Offline efrench

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2016, 01:03:26 AM »
Thanks for the replys and warnings about the Probe Overshoot! As I am used to manually touching off the tool didn't realise that the Probe function in the controller will drive the tool into the tool height sensor and so some flexability is required.

I just use the "Painfully Slow" setting in the touch off routine  :coffee:

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11:15 AM »
Well its been a while but eventually I have all 3 axes under control.

The Fusion 360 knowledge is slowly growing and I am starting to generate g-code and cut air!

A really great support site is https://www.nyccnc.com There are some great videos here and a ton of good info. What I like is that they take things slowly, zoom in to the pop-up windows so you can read the values and don't assume you know everything (like the Fusion videos).

Only problem is that they tend to use Tormach CNCF machines so there recomended feeds and speeds are way too high for my little SX2P. Also everything is imperial.

Does any one have a link to a spread sheet that will allow reasonable calculations of feeds and speeds for a machine like the SX2P and for Aluminium/304 SS/ and FC steel?
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
So now I am getting very confused!

I have run F360 to generate a simple "spot drill 3 holes" program. This outputs a lot of G-code and some of it involves the machine home position.

As I understand the Machine home co-ordinates in the DDCSV controller are the smaller co-ordinates to the left of the Large co-ordinates which represent current workspace. No mention of this in the old manuals!

The machine co-ordinates are manipulated by using the red MACH co-ordinate system .
This system defines the soft limit sets.

X and Y are understandable in both co-ordinate systems (using G54 as default) but Z is totalling confuding me.

Do I set my G54 Z home (zero) position to the tool tip on the workpiece?

I am hoping to find a video entitled "first cuts with F360 gcode" and how to set up the machine.

One other question: I can fit hard limit switches to X+, X-, Y+, Y- and Z+. Does any one use a limit switch for Z-? 

Having spent a lot of time and money on this project I am not sure if this controller is up to the job as a Mill controller. It seems to designed as a CNC router.

See the attached file
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline efrench

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:15 AM »
Can you export your Fusion 360 file (as Archive *.f3d) and attach it to the thread?

Do I set my G54 Z home (zero) position to the tool tip on the workpiece?

It depends on where you set the Work Coordinate System in Fusion 360.  Generally setting it to the top of the workpiece is usually easiest.