Author Topic: 30 Minute Swarf Separator / Cyclone for the Shop Vacuum  (Read 5140 times)

Offline thecogwheel

30 Minute Swarf Separator / Cyclone for the Shop Vacuum
« on: January 29, 2017, 12:15:44 AM »
A few nights ago I took 30 minutes and made a 'cyclone' separator to go in front of my vacuum.  I usually used my vacuum to clean up the shop, and would go through a number of relatively expensive vacuum bags (I use them to help clean up fine particulate like grinding dust).  Now I just dump the pail and the bag stays relatively clean.  Naturally I made a video of the project (which took longer than the project to do :) )

https://youtu.be/vvVokh3UNVM

I don't know how well the 'cyclone' will work for fine particulate such as saw dust.  Most designs use a cone shaped funnel on top of a pail of some sort.  This one is much more rudimentary, although I'm going to try vacuuming up some saw dust to see how well it works.  I don't do very much woodworking anyway so it's not really a big deal.

It was a lot less money than a purchased unit.  I spent about $30 including the hose.  The Dust Deputy, which is a great product, is north of $100 where I live.  The savings will naturally be spent on more tools for the shop of course. 

Offline Pete.

Re: 30 Minute Swarf Separator / Cyclone for the Shop Vacuum
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »
Nice work. I have a cyclone unit and a steel bin to fit it into but have not yet got around to it. My shop vac doesn't use bags so I don't have your motivation just yet.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 03:57:57 AM »
Great job....! I could so with something like that for my grit blasting cabinet....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:09:43 AM »
 :thumbup: Nice job  :clap: :clap:

Rob

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:48:56 AM »
Might I suggest that you add a Thein baffle, it would improve the separation at very little cost and effort!

http://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/separator.html

Regards, Matthew

Offline Imagineering

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:09 AM »
Might I suggest that you add a Thein baffle, it would improve the separation at very little cost and effort!
http://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/separator.html

I have a Thein Separator attached to my CNC Router. Amazingly efficient Dust & Chip collection which I back up with a standard Filter Bag attached to the Exhaust. This Bag collects the 'Fines' which get through the Thein Separator. The Filter Bag only needs cleaning out every year or so, compared to the Separator which needs Monthly emptying.

Offline thecogwheel

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:40:10 PM »
I'll have to look into the Thein separator some more.  Thanks Matthew!

I used it a bunch today and it works great.  Well worth the time on that project!