Author Topic: Dial indicator holder for height gauge  (Read 6559 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Dial indicator holder for height gauge
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:55:09 AM »
I have micron DTI (Dial gauge type) that has beem turned bit too sensitive for normal magnetic bases, it bit bigger and heavier than normal "clocks". Adjustment is not stable and any movement will cause error on repetitivity.

I have cheap but heavy scriber srand of height gauge type. I woke up early this morning and I was staring the scriber. I got the idea od simple DTI holder that replaces the scriber.

Three holes and some milling later I have this. Pitty I don't have a grit blaster (cabinet) and small thingy to heat blackening solution.

Seems to work and least it confirms that the clock has some use.

Pekka

Offline mattinker

Re: Dial indicator holder for height gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
That's a nice idea!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
I like that....a lot.   :wave: Yet another thing to make now. :scratch:
Pete

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Nicely done.  I like the small detail of the shoulder cuts ending in a radius.  Little things like this make for much better "feel" in the hand for tools, and it's something the Asians haven't quite figured out yet.

I made a similar holder for my DTI a while back that clamps on the dovetail.  It was made so the clamp was on an angle so you can see the dial a bit better and/or present the stylus to the work in a more favourable way.  Clearly not an option for this style of indicator, but may give you some ideas for your next project.   When I made that one, I made a few blanks at the same time for "future" holding needs.  I may use one of those to make a similar holder to what you've presented here.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
Thank you, these are always specials.

No matter how simple part looks, there is always something to learn....I made the hole for flexure (the hole at end of the slit) first too small. Needed to turn the know with white fingers to compres it enough to hold the indicator - mildly...Poked it with 10 mm end mill and better, shaved off annother 0,5 mm on each side and I called it good....

Pekka

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 02:51:37 PM »
Thank you, these are always specials.

No matter how simple part looks, there is always something to learn....I made the hole for flexure (the hole at end of the slit) first too small. Needed to turn the know with white fingers to compres it enough to hold the indicator - mildly...Poked it with 10 mm end mill and better, shaved off annother 0,5 mm on each side and I called it good....

Pekka

Glad you got it sorted out.  On a related note, if you'd have located the clamp at the open end (leaving that area a little bigger than it is now), leverage would be on your side for clamping power.  But maybe there's a reason you went the way you did.  Designing things like this "by the seat of the pants" is tough.  Sometimes you get it right the first time, sometimes not.  Every experiment adds to your knowledge and experience.  It's all hindsight, and you have something that works now. 

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »
brill

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »
Beautiful re-use of an existing tool my friend!!
No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
Thank you

Any ideas how to make stand an/or adjustment for a micron gauge or microcator?

Pekka

Offline Joules

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 03:03:50 PM »
Use a micrometer head to move the gauge against a spring loaded mount for the gauge.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.