Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Eagle Type Oil Can

(1/8) > >>

sbwhart:
Its some while since I started a thread or updated an old one, but I've not been idle, my 5" Loco is making progress plus I've just finished off putting together a 1" Minnie traction engine for a friend he baught it 80% complete 10 years ago since then I've made quite a few of the missing parts and he's got others from various places until he was in a position to ask me to put finish off whats left and put it all together so I've spent the last couple of months doing that, plus I made myself an Eagle oil can whilst I was waiting for paint to dry.

Her's the engine nearing completion

And this is how I made the oil Can you can get the drawing on HMEN pul there are a couple of video on utube on how to make it, this is how went about it.

This is the material the tube is 2" diameter with  1.6mm wall

Slices were cut off the bar for the end caps

To machine up I added a couple of extensions to my soft jaws

The two ends are delt with in the same basic way

The valve bosy is made from a bit of 1/2" jig plate:- first put a centre drill in the midle.

Then in the four jaw and with a wobler set it up in the lathe.

Then turn it up so it a tight fit in the tube

Then drill the holes for all the galleries

To asseble the tube into the base first put a ring of gasket stuff in the base, then apply high strength loctite to the tube, that way the assembly direction will push the surplus material away fro each other.

The tube is just cut to length.

I didn't take any pics of making the rest of it but I have another one on the stocks so I'll post the pictures when its finished.

I must say I'm very happy with it works far better than the commercial can I have I bought a Rayling can and I was not happy with it at all it takes ages to prime in loses its prime and the handle bends.

Stew

awemawson:
Nice work Stew  :thumbup:

That's a mighty sturdy looking power hacksaw that you have there

RobWilson:
Nice job Stew  :thumbup:

I am looking to make a couple myself, as the oil cans nowadays are just RUBBISH!  :bang:

Rob

sbwhart:
Cheers Rob

I've got it drawn up but I need to revise them before I post them on her so watch this space

:proj:

Stew

RobWilson:
Nice one Stew  :thumbup:

I was planning on using exhaust pipe reducers for the can. Welding a bottom on the fat end, something pressed in would do the same.  :dremel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221925221526?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version