Author Topic: Eagle Type Oil Can  (Read 19057 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Eagle Type Oil Can
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:31:59 AM »
Its some while since I started a thread or updated an old one, but I've not been idle, my 5" Loco is making progress plus I've just finished off putting together a 1" Minnie traction engine for a friend he baught it 80% complete 10 years ago since then I've made quite a few of the missing parts and he's got others from various places until he was in a position to ask me to put finish off whats left and put it all together so I've spent the last couple of months doing that, plus I made myself an Eagle oil can whilst I was waiting for paint to dry.

Her's the engine nearing completion

And this is how I made the oil Can you can get the drawing on HMEN pul there are a couple of video on utube on how to make it, this is how went about it.

This is the material the tube is 2" diameter with  1.6mm wall

Slices were cut off the bar for the end caps

To machine up I added a couple of extensions to my soft jaws

The two ends are delt with in the same basic way

The valve bosy is made from a bit of 1/2" jig plate:- first put a centre drill in the midle.

Then in the four jaw and with a wobler set it up in the lathe.

Then turn it up so it a tight fit in the tube

Then drill the holes for all the galleries

To asseble the tube into the base first put a ring of gasket stuff in the base, then apply high strength loctite to the tube, that way the assembly direction will push the surplus material away fro each other.

The tube is just cut to length.

I didn't take any pics of making the rest of it but I have another one on the stocks so I'll post the pictures when its finished.

I must say I'm very happy with it works far better than the commercial can I have I bought a Rayling can and I was not happy with it at all it takes ages to prime in loses its prime and the handle bends.

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Eagle Type Oil Can
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
Nice work Stew  :thumbup:

That's a mighty sturdy looking power hacksaw that you have there
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:01:35 PM »
Nice job Stew  :thumbup:

I am looking to make a couple myself, as the oil cans nowadays are just RUBBISH!  :bang:

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:10:45 PM »
Cheers Rob

I've got it drawn up but I need to revise them before I post them on her so watch this space

:proj:

Stew

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
Nice one Stew  :thumbup:

I was planning on using exhaust pipe reducers for the can. Welding a bottom on the fat end, something pressed in would do the same.  :dremel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221925221526?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
Hi Rob

The plans are not on HMEN there on a site called hobby machinist, you have to be a member to get them which I'm not. this is the link.

Link in comments under the video but you need to be a member of that forum to see the drawings.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pump-oil-can-prints.33616/

You can make the body from any material you can lay your hands on the pump bit is quite simple really just a couple of ball clack valves and a plunger.

Stew

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 12:44:41 PM »
I fancy making a couple too, I did try to find plans and found the hobby machinist site.  Any point having a 3D model for people to use.  They can then tweak as required for personal use.  I don't mind modelling it and host on GrabCad if anyone is interested.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

RobWilson

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:56:22 PM »
Hi Stew

I had watched the videos and took a screen shot from the video, very low tech  :Doh:  , and was just going to make it fit my bit pipe.

Hi Joules

A 3D model is always a handy  thing to have   :poke: :thumbup:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
 Nice job there Stew,
                    Like everyone else is saying its hard to get simple things like this that actually work when you buy them these days, they seem to leak oil everywhere then don't pump it out the end where you want it. So well worth making some that work  :thumbup:
  Cheers Mick

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 05:59:49 PM »
Smashing Stew...  nice job on both the engine and oiler... I agree with all about the trash thats sold today..

I have some Swage pipe fittings in the barn that will do as a body... Thanks to Rob for showing his reducer exhaust fitting for reminding me I have my swages, a couple of hours work will result in a couple of cans...

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline thecogwheel

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 07:07:15 PM »
Really nice job!  A proper non leaking oil can has been on my project list for awhile.  I might have to copy yours!

Offline gabrielsmith

• live long and prosper1
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
Hi Stew
           Snap!!! you can watch a video of this oil can being made by Mr Pragmatic Lee (The Tin Barn) you tube channel
I made mine mostly from the scrap box. using a regulator clock weight case for the body and off cuts and ends for the rest
so pleased with the finished can will make another to replace my Myford pump oiler.
 Tim from the "Club"

Tempus Fugit ,nil carborundum

RobWilson

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 05:35:19 PM »

I made mine mostly from the scrap box. using a regulator clock weight case for the body and off cuts and ends for the rest
so pleased with the finished can will make another to replace my Myford pump oiler.
 Tim from the "Club"

Hi Tim,  :worthless:  :)

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 02:21:53 AM »
Hi Stew
           Snap!!! you can watch a video of this oil can being made by Mr Pragmatic Lee (The Tin Barn) you tube channel
 Tim from the "Club"

Tempus Fugit ,nil carborundum

Hi  "Lurker Tim"

Rob Tim's a friend form our model engineering club and quite by coincidence we both made a can at the same time and brought them to the club to show off I don't know if Tim is up to speed on posting photos I'll have a word next time I see him.

Now if you will all be patient I'll have a set of drawings posted on her later today. :coffee:

Cheers

Stew

RobWilson

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:12 AM »

Now if you will all be patient I'll have a set of drawings posted on her later today. :coffee:

Cheers

Stew

Well it's now later in the day Stew, 2 hours later, pull ya finger out  :lol: :lol: , slight cock up my end, I  forgot about Chinese new year when he ordered to pipe fitting last week  :Doh:

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 06:32:56 AM »
Ok here we Go he'rs the drawings

Stew

RobWilson

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »
Thank's posting your drawings Stew  :thumbup:

Great stuff  :med: .I am looking forward to making one, as it will be a welcome change from workshop upgrades.

Rob

Offline Joules

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
Thanks for the drawings Stew.

Whilst looking for materials, got no tube.  However I did have an empty bottle of Spanish rum, the bottle being aluminium.

I thought it might be worth passing the idea on.  You could use old bottle, empty WD 40 can for the body, at least this way I know the bottom isn't going to leak.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »
How about an old plumbing gas cylinder or a gas cylinder from your local dump, they usual have some of the disposable gas bottles.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 12:15:01 AM »
I too say thanks for the drawing Stew,

At least I think I do,  :palm:  you just added another item to my ever expanding ToDo list.  :doh:
   Ah well, that's the risk one takes hanging around places like this.  The can looks great and would certainly be better than what is currently available.
  Just have to find some more of those "RoundTuits".
Regards,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 02:29:14 AM »
I suppose you could use anything that comes to hand for the body as long as its about the right size and its got a reasonable wall thickness, so come on and post some pictures of what you come up with.

:worthless:

Stew

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2017, 03:36:23 AM »
I too say thanks for the drawing Stew,  At least I think I do, you just added another item to my ever expanding ToDo list....
+1 from me

.....  Just have to find some more of those "RoundTuits".....
If you find a pair of "RoundTuits" John, if they're big enough you might be able to use them for the top & bottom of your oiler?  :coffee:

Dave

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 12:39:55 AM »
Ha, good one Dave,
       I shall keep me eye out for em.  :lol:

Meantime I am messing about sorting storage in my minuscule shed. Some place to keep some metal stock that until now has been in a box that keeps getting in the way so moved. Latest iteration is to put the short stuff in the box on wheels under the shelf the grinder stands on, the longer stuff is going to fit (hopefully) in my rough and ready cobbled together rack under the bench vise. Can fit 500mm lengths there, just need to create a rack of sorts so I can get at bits without needing a mining permit.   :bang:

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 03:19:47 AM »
Hi Oil can makers

I've had a mistake on the drawings pointed out to me:-

Part 2:- Valve body the 7.5 distance from the centre to the 3/8*32 hole is wrong it should be 10

:doh:

Sorry

Stew

RobWilson

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »
Evening Chaps,

Well, I was surprised when the stainless steel reducer turned up today, thought it would be weeks away.

Soooo, I may have a bash at making mine over the weekend, getting a bit sick of workshop mods.

Stew,  I like your assembly note  #1,  much better idea than the rubber gasket  :thumbup: 

Rob