Author Topic: Kasenite and Coal Dust  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Joules

Kasenite and Coal Dust
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
Here's a question.   Can coal dust be used like Kasenite.   I am at the dregs of the coal bunker once again, with a pile of coal dust to shovel in the bin.  With the recent talk of lobbing your scrap iron in the woodburner, I wondered if a tin of coal dust and some steel parts for case hardening would be viable.  Anyone tried it, anyone want to buy kilo bags of coal dust once a year ?

p.s if you don't want to buy my coal dust I guess powdered charcoal would be a close second.

p.p.s This is smokeless coal, so supposedly less sulphur  :)
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Kasenite and Coal Dust
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
I suppose anything containing carbon is a potential case hardener. After all the process just gets the steel hot enough for the carbon to migrate. Additives just aid the process. Years back strips of old leather were used.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:21:33 PM »
Evening Joules

The carbon content of coal is only about 60% at best and the other chemical, like sulfur, would also migrate across.  Charcoal the main ingredient in Kasenite is nearly 99% Carbon, coking the coal would burn off all the volatiles and get rid some of the other chemicals.

Wood, bone and leather charcoal are all used to make case hardening compounds, along with a few other seasonings and spices to speed the process.

Rob.  :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
The modern 'Kasenite Substitutes' don't seem to get sticky when heated. With the genuine original I could get something red hot, dip it in the tin, and it would come out glistening with a semi-liquid cover that you could continue to heat in a flame or fire. The new stuff just bubbles up and flakes off  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:59:21 PM »
Evening Andrew,

I have not had the pleasure of using the new, improved case hardening compound, I did hear it was not up to much.  I bet it does not have the same Kasenite smell when in use. 

Rob

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
Rob, Like a lot of modern stuff, it's probably so safe that it no longer works  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »
Rob, Like a lot of modern stuff, it's probably so safe that it no longer works  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds about right Andrew  :Doh:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 01:48:54 AM »
AND price is up
AND there is small text "New improved formula"

Although some stuff was way too harmfull, but some stuff was taken out only because there are some iliterate darwin award constestant who do not read and understand most basic instructions. That's why old that tried Nitro Morse is not available any more. Someone has been pissing on my paint stripper....new ones just does not really work.

But seeriouslyyy....is there a working case hardening powder for hobbyist?

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:20 AM »
Pekka, the new stuff does work, it's just not so easy as the original as you need to contain the powder round the article while you heat it. I keep intending to mix a bit of sugar into a sample as a test to see if it lets it adhere better. Another 'round tuit'  :clap:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 04:00:02 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 04:21:27 AM »
Thank you. That is nice to know, I thought the new does not work at all. There is a source (or least there was a source....) you just could mail order or even visit, hope they still have it.

Pekka

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
Hi All,
a pile of coal dust to shovel in the bin
  :bugeye:

I pack the coal dust into cardboard milk cartons and once the stove is going nicely place one on top of the fire
The heat from the fire forms a skin on the "dust brick" and it will glow away nicely if left undisturbed
I do the same with chainsaw shavings !!!

John