Author Topic: Edgwick Lathe  (Read 26472 times)

Offline mattinker

Re: Edgwick Lathe
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 11:43:33 AM »
10mm That's enormous, I had 0.6mm at worst!

are the test bars being held by the full length of the Jaw?

It sounds like your a couple of decimal points out!

Cheers, Matthew

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »
Reminds me of my "Clumsy bastard" error: I was schoked to find that my finishing touch of balancing fixture shaft increased the excentricity 5 fold, then I noticed that I used 0,002 mm/div indicator insted of the 0,01 mm/div indicator that I had used originally. Phew!

Pekka

Offline HalifaxHerbert

• Owning an EDGWICK Mk1 does this to you.
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 04:42:52 AM »
hi AWEMAWSON

The jaws are in their correct positions and have also been rotated .

Offline HalifaxHerbert

• Owning an EDGWICK Mk1 does this to you.
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 04:50:27 AM »
Gentlemen,

Please accept my sincere apologies.

0.010" run out and +/- 0.0025 run out.

Typographical error. :doh:

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 06:07:44 AM »
... that's better  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:05 AM »
Gentlemen,

I thought that you were palying us. 0.25 mm TIR is on the large side, but it's still usable and if the headstock bearings are fine you can produce good work, just takes a little forethough.

Pekka

Offline mattinker

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2018, 01:41:34 AM »
Gentlemen,

Sound to me like it would be worth trying grinding the jaws. If you go gently, it's hard to make them any worse!

Regards, Matthew

Offline atlas1302d

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2023, 09:52:52 AM »
Hello Gues,
I’ve recently bought a MK1 as well. I live in the Netherlands near Zwolle. I’ve just got it and made my first object yesterday, it was a success. Unfortunately the lathe is leaking oil at several places. Maybe I’ll do a complete restoration in the future. For now I would just like to use it for some projects. Can somebody help me with some documentation of the lathe, so I see how it’s build and I can fix the problems.

Kind regards Dennis

Offline hermetic

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2023, 11:41:07 AM »
They are available from Lathes.co.uk,  but £45.00! look around before you buy!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2023, 12:46:44 PM »
There's a PDF of the manual available here: https://www.listerengine.com/books/Edgwick-Lathe_Manual.pdf

FWIW, the complete list of Things I Have Done To Mine is now:
 - Made a QCTP (there's a build thread somewhere in this forum)
 - Fitted a Chinesium 6-jaw chuck - made my own backplate from a sliver of steel... nearly got it bob on but ended up overcutting the register by about 1/2 thou (a metric gnat's-todger)
 - Fitted 3 axes of a 4-axis DRO. Just need to add the tailstock reader. Having a DRO is REALLY NICE!

Mine leaks oil into the swarf tray all the time. Like any British Classic Car, all that means is you never need to actually change the oil... just keep topping it up!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline atlas1302d

« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
Thanks Ade!

This helps me a lot! Topping it up seems a great idear to me  :clap:
What kind of DRO are you installing, there are o lot of them out there to buy.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2023, 04:46:25 AM »
Thanks Ade!

This helps me a lot! Topping it up seems a great idear to me  :clap:
What kind of DRO are you installing, there are o lot of them out there to buy.

Hi Dennis,

I bought this Ditron one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951659566.html (with the RPM option which, strangely, is far more expensive than the without.... that wasn't an option when I bought it)

I went with 1uM scales (all optical), which works great - although the 3rd decimal digit tends to flicker when the lathe is running... too much vibration. I wanted 4 axes so as well as the carriage and the cross-slide, I have one on the top slide, and I would like to fit one to the tailstock but haven't got a Round Tuit yet.

To say it's transformed the machine is an understatement! It's absolutely brilliant... and also showed up where I have a fair bit of wear in the cross-slide leadscrew... which would explain why I always had to work so hard to hit a dimension before I got it.

Mounting was "challenging".... particularly on the topslide where there's not a lot of headroom. I ended up milling my own brackets from lumps of aluminium and/or steel I had lying around; and even so I still need to fettle the cross slide end cap, as I can't rotate the top slide because it fouls the bottom of the readout. 30 seconds with an angle grinder will solve that... but it's cooold out there...

I also put the main readout on the front (it would be better on the back) - mainly because access to the back of the machine is highly restricted, and I'm buggered if I'm moving it on my own again.

The Ditron package comes with covers, various brackets, the slides cut to the correct lengths (I just worked mine out based on how far I could move stuff - if I can find the original order, I'd be happy to send those lengths to you). I'll grab some pictures too... because I realise I haven't done that (and I really ought to).
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline philf

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2023, 07:28:16 AM »
I bought this Ditron one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32951659566.html (with the RPM option which, strangely, is far more expensive than the without.... that wasn't an option when I bought it)

Ade,

Were you clobbered for import duty and VAT buying from AliExpress? I have bought from them in the past butnot since leaving the EU when things changed. (& not for the better!)

I'm very wary of buying from outside the UK now.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2023, 05:59:25 PM »

Ade,

Were you clobbered for import duty and VAT buying from AliExpress? I have bought from them in the past butnot since leaving the EU when things changed. (& not for the better!)

I'm very wary of buying from outside the UK now.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

IIRC, I had to pay VAT & the GPO's £12 surcharge for doing absolutely nothing.... don't recall having to pay any import duty, although it was 3 years ago, so my memory is hazy.

I've bought some small stuff from Ali since then, nothing major. I think they now include VAT & duty in the price you pay, something to do with some new rules (can't recall if that was an EU directive or a UK post-Brexit change).
Cheers!
Ade.
--