Author Topic: Edgewick oil change  (Read 2772 times)

Offline mattinker

Edgewick oil change
« on: April 08, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
Finally changed the oil in my Edgwick Head stock. 5 imperial pints (2.84litres) of ISO VG 100 hydraulic oil. the only way to get the oil out was with absorbent rag, it was about half full when I started!. I changed the sight glass as the original was cracked and leaking, nothing special, an old bit of glass cut round. I don't think the oil had been changed in a very long time, fine tooth chips, but nothing alarming.

The thing that prompted me to write was that I found a screw in the bottom of the headstock, (photo below) I think that it has been replaced by the screw that is on the left of the picture as the screw is locked with a couple of centre punch marks and not the wire ring that the other screws are locked with. Adev, could you look on your manual on the exploded diagram of the headstock(Plate S.P.1322) to see whether the screw in the photo below looks like part no 308,  the plate in my copy is cut off on the edge of the gear307!

Thanks in advance, Matthew

Offline hermetic

Re: Edgewick oil change
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »
  Hi Matt,Did the same on my Colchester Student, a few weeks ago, did the SC box as well because it was stiff, ended up taking the front off the SC box, because it was so full of sludge, and found a circlip and spacer in the bottom, which was jamming the detents, cleaned it out, found where they were missing from, and replaced them and put the front back on, what a difference, then took the lid off the main gearbox, another circlip and a spacer, plus the original drain plug, all floating around in the bottom of the gearbox, Haven't found where they came from yet, but have a good idea, and they will be put back as soon as I get back on the machines. At the moment, the three phase is of, as I am rewiring with a new Dis board and want to get that finished, and then the last push is to rip up and re lay the main floor, but I get a crew in for that!! Nearly finished, only taken 3 years!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline mattinker

Re: Edgewick oil change
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 05:15:51 PM »
  Hi Matt,Did the same on my Colchester Student, a few weeks ago, did the SC box as well because it was stiff, ended up taking the front off the SC box, because it was so full of sludge, and found a circlip and spacer in the bottom, which was jamming the detents, cleaned it out, found where they were missing from, and replaced them and put the front back on, what a difference, then took the lid off the main gearbox, another circlip and a spacer, plus the original drain plug, all floating around in the bottom of the gearbox, Haven't found where they came from yet, but have a good idea, and they will be put back as soon as I get back on the machines. At the moment, the three phase is of, as I am rewiring with a new Dis board and want to get that finished, and then the last push is to rip up and re lay the main floor, but I get a crew in for that!! Nearly finished, only taken 3 years!

Funny these things that 'turn" up! I'm pretty sure my screw has already been replaced!

Cheers Matthew