Author Topic: A Geordie in Lincolnshire  (Read 11099 times)

Offline malbenbut

Re: A Geordie in Lincolnshire
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 03:45:48 AM »
Hi Dave (bicycle repair man)
Unfortunately Tom Reed died a couple of years ago. He still had the lathe when he died and used it regularly, but the last year before he died he couldn't get into his workshop much, It was a quiet machine when running I think that's why he liked it.

MBB

Offline edward

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »
Edward

Your steel Condor was actually made by me !! or at least by my company M Steel Cycles. We made all the steel Condors from 1982 until around 2004
Pictures tomorrow, need to reduce the size

Cheers

Dave Y

Well you made a lovely job of it! I rode that bike for 3 years and loved it. Just how a bike should be, supple and responsive, comfortable for long distances but still let you get the power down. 

Then some daft bint overtook me, stopped and threw her door open. She seemed surprised when I arrived on her lap.... I was wearing a pink jersey and yellow shorts (hey, it was the 90's). Bike had top and down tube rippled at head tube, forks mangled, bars bust and wheel turned into a pretzel. It wasn't economically repairable!

I succumbed to fasion and replaced it with a Cannondale aluminium job. While it was a 'nice' bike, it just never had the feel of the Condor.

When I bought myself a new bike a few years back I went back to steel. While its not handbuilt, the Genesis is a lovely ride. I test rode carbon and ali bikes and they just didn't feel as nice.

Offline Bicycle Repair Man

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Edward

First some bike pics for you. First ones are of my "posing" bike, I hesitate to call it a racing bike as it never has and never will be raced although in its day it was state of the art. Next is my old mountain bike, the original D.O.N.K.I.S. N.O.B which was our answer to Chas Roberts D.O.G.S B.O.L.L.I.X.  Third on is my Audax bike, ridden on all kinds of stupid distance events ie Paris Brest Paris, London Edinburgh London, End to End, all when I was younger and fitter! Last is a fixie I made for myself, ridden twice and now for sale cos I doubt I will ever use it again ( Icanuse the money to buy some more machinery :D

Cheers

Dave Y

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
Some more grinder pics

Offline edward

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
Dave I am drooling now - particularly over your 'posing' bike. Love the colour and lug pin-stripes on the fixie too.

Showing my age but I remember the dogs bollix coming out and being very impressed. My mountain bike is from a similar time (1992), and ali 'Quest'  job supplied by my local shop in North Harrow with 560mm bars, Onza bar ends, full Deore XT complete with thumb shifters and the then-new v-brakes. The geometry was stretched out, 140mm stem and low rise with rigid forks. Still doing sterling service towing the kids and more lately the dog around in a trailer.

Incidentally, what is going on with MTB geometry these days? I rode a mates new, expensive suspension bike the other day and it had a 40mm stem and bars so wide I felt like I would hit every tree on the way down, and it felt like steering a barge it was so long in the wheelbase. I suppose it must be better but it would take some getting used to for this old boy :)

Offline Chris Evans

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:28 AM »
Just had my first look at this thread. Wow respect Man you do some good work. I finished with gun dogs when I lost three in a year, my old Lab started having fits and was put down. I had an old Springer that I inherited from a friend who died and she died of old age, that left me with a 10 month old Springer bitch who died from a blood disorder. All heartbreaking and I sold the guns.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 05:08:48 PM »
Dave

firstly welcome. Impressive credentials there ! And a dog lover to boot  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I take it you view moving to Lincolnshire as "Missionary work" preaching to the heathens etc :D

I relocated to Yorkshire 22 years ago and I think I have started to "go native".

Regards Ian

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 06:20:17 PM »
Just had my first look at this thread. Wow respect Man you do some good work. I finished with gun dogs when I lost three in a year, my old Lab started having fits and was put down. I had an old Springer that I inherited from a friend who died and she died of old age, that left me with a 10 month old Springer bitch who died from a blood disorder. All heartbreaking and I sold the guns.

Hi Chris

I know exactly how it feels, I lost my Lab x Springer Max about 6 months ago. I was in bits for weeks afterwards. Still keep getting flashbacks. He used to come with me to the workshop and lie in his bed until I got the biscuit tin out !! He was perfectly fit and healthy, I had been out pigeon shooting, he did three superb retrieves, came back home, wolfed his tea down, next morning he was dead. We presume it was his heart. 

Cheers

Dave Y

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 06:32:46 PM »
Dave

firstly welcome. Impressive credentials there ! And a dog lover to boot  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I take it you view moving to Lincolnshire as "Missionary work" preaching to the heathens etc :D

I relocated to Yorkshire 22 years ago and I think I have started to "go native".

Regards Ian

Hi Ian

I've only been here 11 years  so still much work to do with the natives :D However once our neighbouring farmer discovered I could weld aluminium I was accepted on the spot as he had a pile of ally irrigation pipes that needed repairing  :clap:

Cheers

Dave Y