Author Topic: Computer Guru's .......... bit of advice please  (Read 4531 times)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
Computer Guru's .......... bit of advice please
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »
There must be lots on here far more knowledgeable about computers than me so I might as well pick the "collective's" brains  :smart:

Basically, I rebuilt one computer about 18 months back and it's been nothing bit a PITA since  :bang: .............. OK I realise that's one of the main functions of a 'puter  ::)

but .....................  for a new machine it's always run at a snail's pace ........... to be fair I think the biggest mistake was using a Celeron chip   :hammer: ............. I've used AMD's for a good few years and always been happy, local computer store I always use recommended this one so that's why ........... anyway ......... enough said the Celeron chip is going on holiday ..... in the wheelie bin

but, just to avoid another mistake can anyone offer a bit of advice.

The hardest work the machine will do is a bit of 2D AutoCad and large spreadsheets, no games .......ever

I was looking at these 2,

Clicky 1

Clicky 2

the obvious difference is one comes in a case  ......... even I spotted that one :lol:

but I suspect the slightly dearer one will be a lot better ................ but if anyone can advise me I'd appreciate it

Ta chaps  :coffee:

CC
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 05:08:04 PM by CrewCab »

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Computer Guru's .......... bit of advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »
they still are memory and processing hogs.
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
Dave,

If you wanted a full ready built system, I have been recommending these to a few people. I tell them to get the extra memory fitted up to 4GB.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?product=CA-0006&nav=227&next_limit=0&next_price=249.99

Never had one complaint, and they are super fast for the price.

I used to build for myself and other people, but I just couldn't compete for the price these people are charging.

John

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
Dave, I think both those applications will go better with more memory so I second John's recommendation for a 4GB machine.

BTW,  I note that recent versions of Winderz can utilise USB memory sticks as system memory?   I have never tried it but maybe that would make a difference even to your present machine.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »
Funny enough I have been doing an update today, New Mother Board and heat sink I had an intell MB that was a total pain , Had all sorts of overheating problems and I hate a noisy pc as they are on all day I have billet power supplys that dont have fans and always go for the bigest heat sink I can get , I think I outdid my self this time I thought the last one was big but
Peter

I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »
Have not had a chance to check the stats as I dont really know much about AMD processors other than I have been Intel since way back in the 486 days when the AMD, and Cyrix and Intel processors were battling. I used to work in a computer store back then and there was a small advantage for the Intel processor on paper.. however working in the store for a couple years we had consistant issues of little odd compatibility issues back then. Over the years since then I have heard of various people across the board running into odd problems with a variety of games as time has passed with AMD processors.
NOW.... that said.. those I have known who use them for utility have had no issues I have run across.

As far as the modern AMD I have no issues at all as any teething pains of the distant past are long gone.

NOW.... Celery "Celeron" processors have two big disadvantages.
1st.... They have NO MATH COPROCESSOR. SOoooooo things like Cad, and or Spreadsheets are horribly slow. All math computations are not done in the core of the processor.
2nd... They poorly marketed them as functional cheap processors that are fully functional and just as fast... which is complete crap. Surfing the net possibly.. but thats about it.

I am a Intel processor fanboy. BUT.. I would have te worst AMD over a Celeron anyday.

I wish I had more knowledge on the AMDs... but I do have one small thing I can show you that you may find help with what you are buying.

Toms Hardware.  THis is renowned around the world for being the number one spot for the enthusiast to go and check the performance of computer hardware.
This is the CPU review area...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/CPU,1/
SPiN Racing