Author Topic: End Mill Sharpening, end and side.  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Metalman

End Mill Sharpening, end and side.
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
To see my videos showing an end mill being sharpened using my grinding rests, visit this page for a link to them,  http://www.homews.co.uk/page145.html  Even if you do not have,  or intend to make, one of my rests,  you may find the videos of interest.

However, for an alternative method of sharpening end mills, visit this page for a link to another video. http://www.homews.co.uk/page121.html

Harold 

Offline sparky961

Re: End Mill Sharpening, end and side.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
I'm sure that many of these links are of use to people, but if you aren't going to partake in a discussion about them isn't it just advertising?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
Harold Hall is posting these links across a wide spectrum of forums.

Let us give him the opportunity to respond to the above comment and judge by his response if any  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
I like the fact he is promoting his stuff.. I have a couple of his books a worth while read.. learned a couple of things along the way, knowledge is power it also aint cheap..I have no problem with Harold getting out his word.... Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
I like the fact he is promoting his stuff.. I have a couple of his books a worth while read.. learned a couple of things along the way, knowledge is power it also aint cheap..I have no problem with Harold getting out his word.... Anthony.

I don't have any problem with the promotion itself.  I just don't think that a forum is the place for a one-way "discussion".  Especially when it is commercially motivated.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
If you don't have a problem with the promotion why do you have a problem  when its commercially motivated ? It don't make  sense.

Anthony   
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 07:14:43 PM »
His website is free to access.
I suggest it is very likely that while he might want to share the actual book contents as well that he is in fact constrained by whatever contract is in place for the Milling WSP book. The copyright on that is not actually his even though he wrote the content. So this is as close as he can get to sharing it freely.

Gerrit

Offline sparky961

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
I can see I'm not going to win on the popularity front with this one.  I've voiced my opinion on the subject and I'll cut it off here.

Offline Metalman

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:52:52 AM »
This does not need to be a one way discussion Sparky, should anyone make a point regarding the videos, or ask a question, I will certainly reply, that providing I remember to ask to be notified of additions to threads that I set up.  Apology at the end.

Regarding my books I cannot disagree that my threads may have an effect on the books sold, though as they have been on the market for a long time extra sales are not likely to be great. However, in this case, this was far from my mind.

The advanced grinding rest was first published in a UK magazine in 2003 with it appearing in a UK book in 2004 and then in a US book in 2012. Over this period I became aware that it was being made in large numbers, but more recently, realizing that many were not getting the best out of it due to not fully understanding how it is used. Because of this, I decided to produce the videos now being made available.

The only way I could attempt to make them known to many having made the rests was to publicize them widely on the 20 English speaking forum that have links to my website.  I also have about 10 non English speaking forum but have only managed to get one of them aware of my videos with the help of a forum member.

Whilst I said I would respond to comments on a forum regarding my threads. It is very much more difficult with threads, or comments within a thread, made by others.
My website stats for a typical month will show over 450 entries of people coming to  it using links on a forum and whilst I will pick out a few being viewed in larger numbers, and maybe responded, it is impossible to follow each one up.

Thanks also to others who have contributed to this thread.

Now for the apology. I am sorry Sparky that I never responded to your comments regarding my lathe back stop, I can only assume that I did not request to be advised of additions to the thread. This is not difficult as visiting 20 forum using a wide range of software it is not easy to find how to use each one, but I am getting there.   

Harold