Author Topic: Cutting oil dispenser  (Read 17102 times)

Offline Joules

Cutting oil dispenser
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:46:09 AM »
Been meaning to make one of these for ages, can't really use the workshop as floor paint is drying so mostly made this in the front room whilst other half out at work.  :D

Components being, dogs tuna tin from last night, 22-15mm copper fitting with a wrap of 2mm copper wire to fillet the joint.  Not very fancy, but killed an hour on a slow day.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:44:38 AM by Joules »
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Cutting oil dispenser
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
Nice one Joules but why didn't you 3D print one  :lol:

Mine is a child's unspillable paint pot, with a rare earth magnet tossed in the bottom to stop it being knocked off the lathe so easily  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »

Mine is a child's unspillable paint pot, with a rare earth magnet tossed in the bottom to stop it being knocked off the lathe so easily  :ddb:

You just have to go one better dont ya? !........ :lol:

Picture?  :worthless:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:20:43 PM »
dogs tuna - is that tuna made from dogs? Or dog-flavoured Tuna?  :lol:

More to the point, how did you get the lid back on without any form of damage???
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Joules

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 01:43:36 PM »
Magican opener leaves a really clean edge.  I was able to flare this outwards with smooth pliers.  Now the lids cut edge sits inside the can.  Needle file to rough the edge and take off any coatings.  Flux and tin the edge with flux cored solder.  The metal is so thin you don't need a big iron.  Prep the lid, needed a bit more heat to solder the copper fitting.  Tin the lid inner edge, now press fit and using the soldering iron slowly melt the solder at the tin/ lid joint all round.   Add a little solder if needed to get a continuos seem.  Clean up and cool down, now blow into the copper fitting and see if the can leaks.  If it's sealed your all done, add oil and pour out excess from can back into bottle.

3D printed version is good for straining particles out of the oil. LOL

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Yeah Ade, you know tuna, four legs and barks ???

This is the soldered edge I got on the tin, modern coatings makes good solder mask so you only need a needle file and light touch to open enough metal to tin with an iron, not much more than a scratch then wick the solder round the can joint.  (too many tins)

*** Well that was a big cock up trying to edit and resize an image on an iPad ***
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:41:00 AM by Joules »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 02:12:04 PM »

You just have to go one better dont ya? !........ :lol:

Picture?  :worthless:

Here you go:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
On a roll now  :)

Made a second one for other lathe.  With what I learned from the first can, I soldered the reinforcing wire to the underside of the lid.  Don't really know why I didn't do it the first time round.

it was actually easier to solder as the ring is smaller this side and the solder easier to wick round.

Much neater topside with solder flashed all round the joint.  Only apply heat to the copper fitting and you won't set fire to the coating on the can.

p.s   Dog now turning his nose up at Tuna     :scratch:

Offline Biggles

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
All you need now is a small magnet in the bottom and it won’t spill.   :thumbup:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »
So... do you just pour the oil out of the top, then?

Whilst I can appreciate the cheapness, wouldn't it be easier to just use a cheapo thumb-pump type can?

I bought a couple of them for about a fiver, with a semi-flexible spout rather than the one pictured. Great for dropping oil on a parting-off tool... Of course, you do need that third hand to hold it...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline mechman48

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
So... do you just pour the oil out of the top, then?

Whilst I can appreciate the cheapness, wouldn't it be easier to just use a cheapo thumb-pump type can?

I bought a couple of them for about a fiver, with a semi-flexible spout rather than the one pictured. Great for dropping oil on a parting-off tool... Of course, you do need that third hand to hold it...

If you run the parting off/crosslide on auto you won't need that third hand... providing you've got power X feed...?
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 02:40:06 AM »
Ade,

By having a 'paste brush' in the pot you can apply small quantities of oil where and when you need it without bringing something metallic into the vacinity of fast spinning bits that you are turning, drilling etc

If you look at the child's paint pot picture that I posted, the brush is in situ
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 03:45:19 AM »
Quote from: mechman48
... providing you've got power X feed...?

Wouldnt be without it for parting off......

I use the inexpensive WD40 equivalent from Screwfix for applying lube.....£5 a tin....
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-penetrating-lubricating-oil-750ml/19320

Good for spraying the machine all over after cleaning down..too..

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 04:02:00 AM »
 :coffee:  it's not the cost, it's about making something.  You can spend an hour in front of the TV or you can spend an hour in the workshop and improve your maker skills.   This is Mad Modders, so converting an empty tin of fish and a plumbing fitting into a useful workshop widget should be seen for what it is.  Otherwise we might as well be Mad Couldn't be Arsed to Make.

:doh:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 04:07:17 AM »
I do agree with you Joules, but that approach cannot be taken too far or we'd all be making our own nuts and bolts - ok I do sometimes where a 'special' is needed  :med:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 04:26:41 AM »
And that's why I come here, to see the guy who has to make his own nuts and bolts, takes the time to learn screw cutting showing where they went wrong and why brass makes crap cutting tools....  Simple stuff can inspire others to have a go, especially if they have limited resources and skills.  This is a great mentoring project.

A bit of imagination and it could be the basis of a DIY hurricane or table lamp.

:poke:  I'm just a grumpy git at the moment, can't get in the workshop.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 06:20:46 AM »
I empathise - friends 80th birthday do at the local hotel lunchtime, so best bib and tucker and clean fingernails  :bang:

(Mind you I did manage to bore out a flexible linkage for my Z axis rebuild project first thing this morning  :ddb: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 07:24:58 AM »

:poke:  I'm just a grumpy git at the moment, can't get in the workshop.
I'm just a grumpy git....old at that too.....cant be a**ed with the workshop.....not happy with my lathe at the moment so wondering what to do with it.....think it needs some  :proj: for the tailstock ram screw....

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
All you need now is a small magnet in the bottom and it won’t spill.   :thumbup:

I did have a large round magnet from a vcr that would realky suit something like this, but I dropped it, it broke in half..., :Doh:

But the fluid wont spill anyway as that is the purpose of the design surely?.... :scratch:

Offline Joules

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 08:41:14 AM »
Thats great news John, two magnets for the price of one.  Had my day cheered up by a visit from Rob Wilson, so not as grumpy as earlier.... 

The oil can is none spill, unless your very determined.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
Had my day cheered up by a visit from Rob Wilson, so not as grumpy as earlier.... 

Yeah Rob is good fun to be around, I've often paid him a visit when up at Gateshead.....makes a good brew.. :thumbup:

Right I'm off to buy some tuna..... :clap: Gonna make me one of those non spilling oil dippy things with a mag base... :clap:

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 01:31:34 PM »
Or, take the easy way out and use a Fairy Liquid bottle with a little brass nozzle.  :wave:
Pete

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 01:44:27 PM »
Or as I did, buy the grand children some unspillable paint pots and keep one for yourself - that way you get Brownie Points AND an oil dispenser  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Biggles

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »
it depends on how full and which way up it falls John. My toast always fall butter down!  :Doh:

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 04:53:45 PM »
:coffee:  it's not the cost, it's about making something.  You can spend an hour in front of the TV or you can spend an hour in the workshop and improve your maker skills.   This is Mad Modders, so converting an empty tin of fish and a plumbing fitting into a useful workshop widget should be seen for what it is.  Otherwise we might as well be Mad Couldn't be Arsed to Make.

It's a fair point... and heaven knows I've spent hours in front of the lathe/mill before now making something I could have bought for a fiver... The oil can thing just had me quizzical is all. Andrew mentioning the brush made sense.... I bought a 25l barrel of cutting oil though, so I tend to slop it about a bit. I think more ends up on me than on the workpiece...  :lol:

If you run the parting off/crosslide on auto you won't need that third hand... providing you've got power X feed...?

Hmm, I broke about 4 rather expensive parting-off toolholders, and about 20 inserts, using the power feed, so I ran shy of it for quite some time. Still to this day don't know what caused the problem, as I'd cheerfully parted off under power before then and have parted off under power since. Towards the end of the cut, though, I prefer to go by hand as I can feel when it's starting to get a bit shuddery & therefore it's time to back out & finish off with the hand saw...

What I really need to do is get the suds system up and running on my lathe, so I can either flood cool or, as Bogs showed me once, use a spraymist system.
Cheers!
Ade.
--