Author Topic: Wasp alert  (Read 3289 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Wasp alert
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
I was in workshop last night and noticed a queen hovering about very lethargic so must have recently come out of hybernation. I tried ejecting her the kind way but she seemed to have taken a fancy to my space... so she met her demise. Anyway just thought I would let you know they are awakening and looking for nice dry nesting places like our sheds. So get rid of them in whatever way suits you before they start their nests.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Wasp alert
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Noticed one in the garden too. Had about 15 of them hibernating in the parasol outside. I really like wasps though. If anyone's ever had any ribes plants they'll know how devastating sawflies can be. I spent a year picking them off a redcurrent daily but they still managed to kill it, but the year there were wasps in the garden they ate them all before they could do any damage to the plants.

I also don't think they deserve their reputation. It's really hard to get stung by a wasp as they're fairly docile, but every year at late summer I still see plenty of people trying their hardest as they start flailing around and swinging at the wasp that took an interest to all the ice cream stuck to their faces.

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
I agree Steve. They do much much more good than harm.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:39 PM »
When I was about 7, I got stung inside my ear by a wasp. I've hated the little stripey b*starts ever since....  even though I know, really, that it wasn't the wasp's fault - or mine, just one of those things.

In general, I live & let live, but I won't abide a nest of them, it's just too damn dangerous around autumn, when they eat the rotten fruit, get drunk, and wobble off looking for a fight...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
I dont have anything against them but still dont want to share my shed with a nest of them.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
The blacksmithing lady and I have many conversations about wasps and hornets. We have a ton of both around here. But, I am reminded of this cartoon when it comes to hornets. Enjoy..

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Biggles

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 12:46:47 PM »
Found a nest in one of the garden sheds last week. It seemed to be old but got rid of it anyway. I assume they come back to the same place each year if the accommodation is ready made?  :doh:

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: All very good Eric, but 1/4" is 6.35 mm not 6.25  :clap: :clap: :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline philf

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
Found a nest in one of the garden sheds last week. It seemed to be old but got rid of it anyway. I assume they come back to the same place each year if the accommodation is ready made?

Hi Biggles,

There are many references on the web to them never reusing an old nest. (But if they do don't blame me!)

The older I get I've become more tolerant to wasps and if they get in the house I will catch and release them outside rather than squashing them. I've been stung so many times whilst out cycling.

A few years ago my wife and I were on a short cycling tour and I felt something buzzing about in my cycling helmet. Rather than stop to to take the helmet off I did it whilst I was still riding. Concentrating on getting rid of the uninvited guest instead of watching where I was going my front wheel caught some soft gravel at the side of the road and I ended up going down an embankment through a hedge and over the handlebars landing back first on a branch of a tree. I and my bike ended up about 8 feet below the road in a pile of nettles. Lesson learned and I bought a new helmet with mesh over the vents. Next ride out a wasp got caught between a helmet strap and my temple - ouch!

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:14:45 PM »
I think the clear and obvious take-away lesson from that little lot, Phil, is: Give up the damn bike and get a car!!!

:lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 07:21:10 AM »
Space helmet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Or goldfish bowl ( with breathing holes obviously)

Offline Biggles

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
Phil! So you’re the one I zoomed past wandering all over the road;   :scratch: not so sure of them not coming back. I recently had some windows/wood frames replaced and there were tunnels down the side of the wood between the brickwork full of old wasps some in hibernation; Soon got rid of them.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
Wasp's nest are the most marvellous constructions - wood reduced to paper and built up rather in the shape of a cedar cone

We have several old ones about the farm and cottages, and I can't bring myself to destroy them - real works of art
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
In happier days, we had a weekend cottage in the Cairngorms( hence the Fergus O'More thing ) but were plagued with wasp nests.

I invented a flame thrower which was cheap and effective. A canister of WD-40- with the plastic pipe and a butane cigarette lighter.

'Nae bother!'

Norm