Author Topic: Horizontal or not?  (Read 5287 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Horizontal or not?
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
I am in the process  (among all the other stuff) of building a milling machine. I am currently working on the mast of it and can't decide if I should add a bit of tube which would give me the chance to add horizontal capabilities in the future. Just how useful is horizontal? Does it allow you to do much that you can't with vertical?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Jo

Re: Horizontal or not?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
You can't line bore with a vertical like a horizontal (but you can with a lathe) ...

You can cut big gears using a horizontal and a rotary table  :thumbup:

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
You can't line bore with a vertical like a horizontal (but you can with a lathe) ...

You can cut big gears using a horizontal and a rotary table  :thumbup:

Jo

I bet I could line bore with my 626 mill......boring bar held in the collet chuck, a live centre anchored to the table, work piece fastened to angle plate, secured to table as well....then use the knee Z axis to move the whole lot in relation to the cutting tool.....
Jo, do you think its doable? ( yes easier I guess with a H mill)

I think a v mill is more versatile than its counter part....but then I also think its down to physical size of machine too......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:59 AM »
So there are advantages in which case that solves my dilemma I will put the necessary bits in for future use

Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »
Horizontal mills are often far more rigid with the arbor supported at both ends - I used to have an old Cincinnati horizontal that was superb at hogging out - made making my Dickson T2 holders so much easier. I just produced a slab of the V profiles, sliced it into length then jigged them for cutting the tool slot. It would have been a much more lengthy exercise on the Bridgeport.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:17 PM »
I'm with you on that Andrew

Making T2 's was easier with the horizontal on the Alexander ( mind you going too fast in some "dubious grade" steel wrote off a couple of slitting saws but it was all "experience".

Also useful for making t nuts etc just set the cutters the correct distance and off you go.

If you've got the facility you can choose whether or not to use it... :thumbup:

Ian

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
I missed out on a Atlas horizontal that I saw on kijiji it would have been a good addition to my collective.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
I have (only) a horizontal milling machine. I have nothing to compare it to except the milling slide on my ex-Taig lathe :-)

It seems sturdy, the only issue I have is seeing clearly how to line up for hole drilling etc. A small mirror and good lighting helps.

No idea what brand this is, but price was right. I too missed an Atlas mill on Kijiji last year for CA$500. Then this came along at CA$200 and now a happy camper.
DRO's are on the way which completes what I need for now.

Gerrit

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 04:37:40 PM »
I had pretty much already convinced myself to include the capability but wasnt sure I would ever use it but it seems there is good reasons to include it so I brought the neccesary home to turn on my lathe. I wont do anything more about it just yet however as I have more than enough to be going on with as it is but it would have been much harder to do later as I am thinking of filling the upright with concrete.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »
Ship..

I have owned both, both excel in certain areas that have been mentioned, one feature i liked with my horizontal is its real easy to machine angles by using a decent angle plate angled on the table, make sure your table is wider than normal to enhance the horizontal feature..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 04:30:22 AM »
Not possible in the short term Anthony due to the materials I am using. Might be possible further down the line to make modifications but will see. I will be starting a thread soon but am still finishing the carousel and at the moment this is a downtime project.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
As a little teaser for the thread heres a few pics of what i have done so far: first pic is the part to allow the horizontal shaft to be mounted then the upright of the mill and finally the bars inside to hopefully stop any twisting during operation I am hoping this will be enough without filling it with concrete too but will see.