Author Topic: These guys are definitely MAD  (Read 7558 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
These guys are definitely MAD
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:17:04 AM »
Interesting reading/viewing

Make it Extreme

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: These guys are definitely MAD
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
I bet that that's exhausting to pedal, with a single ratio  :bugeye:

I've seen their tube cutter somewhere on the web - it was briefly seen in the video.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:27:22 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
They've made a lot of interesting things!

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
Interesting reading/viewing

Make it Extreme

Eric

Thanks for sharing I went on to check out this
  :jaw:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 03:42:37 AM »
Thank you, these are inspirational.

Like the speed of video, they don't compete with this video:

I did not like the bike episode. Bozo was blocking the trafic. But I like the rough-and-ready approach.

I don't get this "exreme" part at all.

That tube notcher has it's merits. Two things irks me there.

1: The plasma cable bundle exits from the shaft axially. Every design engineer knows that you don't twist cable/hose anything like that. Speicially hydrauli hoses or any other having a reinforcemet. You have to have the cable exiting axially radially and have it coil such a way that minimum bending is not exceeded. It would had only a little imact on design. Bit like cable drum on extension cable.

2: Wiper motors...ok to make proof of concept, but although some are legendary strong (some are even used in MIG wire feeders), generally they donät take much side load. Then they put the motor righ on harm's way.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:44:07 AM by PekkaNF »

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 05:44:23 AM »
So that's  :thumbup: as Mad Modders then.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »
I did not like the bike episode. Bozo was blocking the trafic. But I like the rough-and-ready approach

That tube notcher has it's merits. Two things irks me there.

1: The plasma cable bundle exits from the shaft axially. Every design engineer knows that you don't twist cable/hose anything like that. Speicially hydrauli hoses or any other having a reinforcemet. You have to have the cable exiting axially radially and have it coil such a way that minimum bending is not exceeded. It would had only a little imact on design. Bit like cable drum on extension cable.

2: Wiper motors...ok to make proof of concept, but although some are legendary strong (some are even used in MIG wire feeders), generally they donät take much side load. Then they put the motor righ on harm's way.

Pekka,

I think you're being a little hard on these guys! Like you I thought that "he's holding the traffic up", but, he's being filmed from the car behind! Probably good for the shot, but also saves them from having other cars interfering! I don't know whether you've ever been to Latin America? A couple of trips to Argentina made me realise how much of a third world country it can be. they don't have the money or the resources that we "Westerners" have, so wiper motors look like better options than they maybe would "here"!

All the best, Matthew.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 06:58:09 AM »
I think you're being a little hard on these guys! Like you I thought that "he's holding the traffic up", but, he's being filmed from the car behind! Probably good for the shot, but also saves them from having other cars interfering! I don't know whether you've ever been to Latin America? A couple of trips to Argentina made me realise how much of a third world country it can be. they don't have the money or the resources that we "Westerners" have, so wiper motors look like better options than they maybe would "here"!

All the best, Matthew.

These guys don't seem to be deprived.

My wife is Mexican, although I think that Mexico is more to "rich" northern hemisphere that "the other side". I have been working in Africa and Thailand. What intriques me is that they have inteniquity and they often can make best out of resources they have. What irks me that much is left halfway. "First thing that works must be best ever".

I might have come at more obtuse angle than was my intention.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:00:53 AM »
Further back pedaling....I must say that pretty much all of welds are better that mine. Some places the welds look pretty good. Or maybe more than guy makes the welds (or he is learning fast).

Pekka