Author Topic: Mini lathe and milling machine choice  (Read 3021 times)

Offline JohanVanRensburg

Mini lathe and milling machine choice
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:10 AM »
I am looking to purchase a mini lathe and milling machine for the purpose of model making. I currently have a Myford ML7 lathe and a mill/drill.
I have an opportunity to purchase a second hand Sherline lathe (4410) and milling machine (5410), both these machines are virtually brand new. Neither have worked more than 2 hours since new. There are also a bunch of extras included. The second option I'm investigating is a Seig lathe and milling machine.
The advantage if the Sherline is the accuracy of their products, although also more expensive. The disadvantage is that the lathe is a manual feed on the lead screw, whereas the Sieg has a auto feed. I am concerned that the finish with a manual feed will not be good enough, what are the thoughts/opinions of the esteemed members?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:08:26 AM by JohanVanRensburg »
Never give up!!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Mini lathe and milling machine choice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »
I always found the automatic feed on my seig lathe to be way too fast on the slowest speed. Some people mod them with motors on the other end of the leadscrew for a fine feed, but i've never really needed an automatic feed enough to go out of my way to do that. Why would you need another small lathe if you already have a Myford though?

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:36:11 PM »
I agree with Heslop... about the feed speed on the Seig,

if you need to feed the lead on the Sherline use a 18Volt drill QED...

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline JohanVanRensburg

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:03:42 AM »
Thank you guys. I have purchased the Sherline, and you are correct, one does not actually need the auto feed.
Never give up!!