Author Topic: Dead center lube?  (Read 5446 times)

Offline websterz

Dead center lube?
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:14:37 PM »
I have a piece of 1/2" diameter carbide drill shank that I plan to grind a 60* point on to use as a small dead center. What is the preferred lube (since white lead is a no-no now) for keeping things cool and turning freely when using a dead center? I get the feeling oil won't cut it. (No pun intended)

:proj:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

Re: Dead center lube?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 12:07:45 AM »
I should think the modern day safe equivalent would be something like a graphite based one or copperslip . But it gets everywhere, you only have to look at it and you are covered in the stuff.

When turning between centres I use a general purpose grease, and have got away with it up until now. Modern formulations have come a long way over the years, and as long as it doesn't melt out due to friction heat, I think it would be fairly safe to use.

John

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:20:17 AM »
A poster on another forum uses "high pressure grease".  He also states that as the workpiece turns in will heat up and the center will loosen, so that it's necessary to tighten up the tailstock at that point.  Personally I've never used a dead center in the tailstock, as nothing I've made requires the extra precision.

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:44:23 AM »
When cutting a thin section a la Bog's tutorial, I used white lithium grease.  It seemed to work okay, but I never had the speeds very high.
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline usn ret

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:34:09 PM »
Glen,  When I need a super slick lube I use a good hi-pressure grease with an added dash of powdered molybinumdisulfide {sp} that  I acquired as surplus many years past. A small application goes a long way.  Moly B is microscopic sized ball bearings whereas graphite has sharp edges. Therefore Moly-B over graphite.  I also add it to engine assembly lube and have never had a problem. :smart:

Cliff :beer:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline websterz

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
Glen,  When I need a super slick lube I use a good hi-pressure grease with an added dash of powdered molybinumdisulfide {sp} that  I acquired as surplus many years past. A small application goes a long way.  Moly B is microscopic sized ball bearings whereas graphite has sharp edges. Therefore Moly-B over graphite.  I also add it to engine assembly lube and have never had a problem. :smart:

Cliff :beer:

hmmm...I have a few tubes of MolyKote around here somewhere... :thumbup:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med: